40 DAY WARNING!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 DAY WARNING!

T-minus 40 days, 20 hours till opening of tech... preparations should be underway for all concerned.

that is all..
    DW2013 - DNF (Gateway - trans failure)
    DW2014 - SR BB/PA class winner!
    DW2015 - Finished in 1 piece (for once!)
    DW2016 - Still "Fox Free" ;)

Won't be long before we get the "reality check" email from HR asking if you are still coming. I have seen one or two cars that are registered that I doubt will make it. If it isn't running under its own power right now, I give you a 50% chance of being at Tulsa at best.
    Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

still 39 days, 20 hours out... those that truly want to go will find a way to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Orange65 View Post
        Won't be long before we get the "reality check" email from HR asking if you are still coming. I have seen one or two cars that are registered that I doubt will make it. If it isn't running under its own power right now, I give you a 50% chance of being at Tulsa at best.
        Wow- checked my email a minute ago and there was the email I was just prognosticating earlier this morning... Ha!
        Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

I just received THAT email...

Comment

Email received... lol
            '91 Trans Am GTA: 402ci LS2, faceplated T56, 9", and nitrous.
            2013 Drag Week SURVIVOR! - SR/SB/PA & 2014 Drag Week SURVIVOR! - SR/SB/NA

Comment

Just got my email!!

Comment

Dear Hot Rod Drag Week registered racers:
                You are receiving this email because you signed up for this year’s race when registration was available to you in April. If you are certain you can’t attend Drag Week please notify us as soon as possible. We still have an extensive wait list, and we will start inviting people from the wait list when we drop down to 300 racers. We strongly encourage you to notify us as soon as you are certain you can’t make it to the race.
                If you know you won’t make it, please open a spot for another racer who could be ready to run. You would want them to do the same for you.
                Also, we are in the process of conducting our final meetings with each track. We will have additional information available regarding fuel, nitrous, etc., as a result of those meetings. Watch for a comprehensive email that will be sent to every registered racer.
                Thanks, and we will see you at this year’s Hot Rod Drag Week!

If they'd offer to throw in a little cash back , they might prompt some "certainty" among the more dodgy entries . . . Just sayin'

Comment

you were supposed to read the fine print before you clicked "spend money". just sayin'

Plenty of time....I should get my car back from the artist in a day or two. Then I have to get it to actually make a full pass, in DW racing trim.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Wow- checked my email a minute ago and there was the email I was just prognosticating earlier this morning... Ha!
                    Obligatory "me too" post....

Comment

You missed my point, Jim.

Hot Rod's arguably hilarious paean to what some may call the "categorical imperative" (or in less secular formulations, the "golden rule") is likely to fall flat among many "selfish" racers without a little financial incentive to drop out early.

Most certainly everyone signed up with knowledge of the new 100% entry fee forfeit rule. But an unintended consequence of that new rule is that it will delay some -- okay, perhaps MANY-- from "pulling the plug" on their hopes and dreams for DW 2014.

Feel free to disagree . . . but it has been my experience in decades of automotive pursuits that "money talks and . . . " (well, you know the rest, don't you) . . . .
                      Last edited by 38P; July 29, 2014, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Since they have too many cars signed up this year, my guess is they really don't have much motivation to get folks to give up their slot. Sure, they'd get some more money from the wait list guys that get in, but there are still too many cars signed up
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

As long as they get to keep the "float" on the ~$100,000 in entry fees as long as possible, they probably don't care if anyone outside of a handful of big-name people with 6- and 7-second cars (and of course the entertaining and photogenic 10-second Gasser A/FX class cars) show up. I can virtually guarantee you that they don't care if ~ 128 of the entries don't show up . . . . http://blogs.hotrod.com/drag-week-20...#axzz38t9SfN2g

Comment

Don't be silly - of course they care. Daily Driver is HRM's bread and butter, that's who the magazine caters to. That's who the advertisers cater to.

I agree that there is little motivation to check out early, though. Last minute attrition should bring it down to 250 cars out the gate, and I'm hoping there's room for walk-ups.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                              Don't be silly - of course they care. Daily Driver is HRM's bread and butter, that's who the magazine caters to. That's who the advertisers cater to.
                              Hmm? You mean they should have put a "P" class car on the cover instead of Tom Bailey's "Sick Seconds" Pro Mod?

In all seriousness, I do agree that the Daily Driver-class cars are much more representative of the vehicles built by most customers who buy the magazines and support most of the aftermarket business.

But from publishing and internet "eyeballs" standpoints, I strongly suspect the editors get a lot more stoked about the exceptional single-digit racers than they do about some no-name dude squeezin' a plate kit on a small-block in a cheapo '80s bracket car (not to mention those who deign to show up with [horrors] "storebought" muscle) . . . . After all, they didn't repeat coverage of the Quick 32 Dailies in the print magazine last year. . . .

I agree that there is little motivation to check out early, though. Last minute attrition should bring it down to 250 cars out the gate, and I'm hoping there's room for walk-ups.
                              Yeah, I'd show up in TUL if I wasn't already in the show . . . .
                              Last edited by 38P; July 29, 2014, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X