Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Hot Rod mag and NHRA about safety rules

Hello folks.

I am running DD with my 53 Bel air. The car will run 10.80s @ 129 mph.. I understand that i need a cage/bars in the car to run faster than 11.49. If my car is legal to run at a IHRA track at this ET and MPH will it be legal to run at NHRA tracks during Drag week? I am getting conflicting info here about the rules. I do not want any issues at the track when inspected. Is there anyone at Hot Rod or a NHRA offical that i can speak with about this?

Thanks!!

Scott

I'm thinking It's as much the track responsibility as it is HRM's so despite (in addition) to what HRM says you may want to clarify with the tracks it will be run at as well.

My reading in the past says a 10.8 will be more than just a roll bar though...
    Last edited by Beagle; June 29, 2014, 09:04 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

You have to get and read the NHRA rule book and figure it out. The Drag Week rules say it must meet NHRA rules. If the IHRA track is letting it run without meeting rules, don't expect to get by on Drag Week..
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I am finding out that what will pass in IHRA will not always pass at an NHRA track.. and sometimes it depends on the inspector.

Comment

I have an 8 pt cage/bar setup that will pass IHRA from 11.49 to 10 flat.

Comment

That's true...you never know when you'll get one that goes by the book. If you have everything set up by the book, then it's not a problem on race day. If you don't, then you're going to be in trouble.

If there's anyone nearby you that is an experienced racer, maybe you could get him to look over the car for you and help you make sure it meets the rules.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by moter View Post
              I have an 8 pt cage/bar setup that will pass IHRA from 11.49 to 10 flat.
              With a 8 point you are legal to 10.0 if you have stock floor and firewall
              by NHRA rules... a minimum of 5 point bar is legal also but most put
              in a 6 point

Comment

I have stock floor and firewall.. and it is a full frame car. As i read it the cage has to attach to the frame.. is this true? Thank you for the input

Comment

If the car has a frame, then the cage needs to be welded to the frame.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

X2
                    78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                      If the car has a frame, then the cage needs to be welded to the frame.
                      This is correct

Comment

Working...
                      X