Alum. Floor=cool floor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alum. Floor=cool floor?

I know aluminum transfers heat better than steal, does that mean it will transfer it straight into the cab, will the steal act as a heat shield or will act as a heat absorber?? What are your experiences
    Attached Files

i think bare steel or aluminum = Hot i put lizard skin heat shield down and it was worth the 30 pounds it added so i would go with aluminum with lizard skin ceramic heat shield

Comment

mostly it means the heat will spread evenly through the metal, it won't stay hot in one place, cool in another place. So...the average temp will probably be the same, the places that used to be hot spots will be cooler, and the places that used to be cool will be warmer.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Paul View Post
        I know aluminum transfers heat better than steal, does that mean it will transfer it straight into the cab, will the steal act as a heat shield or will act as a heat absorber?? What are your experiences
        Alum transfer heat quicker... it absorbs it quicker but it also cools quicker..
        so if you run a alum floor pan you can expect it to heat up quicker and be
        hotter while your running... air crossing over it helps to reduce the heat..
        then when you shut down it cools quicker... either way(steel or alum) you
        better run insulation to stay cool inside... I put a thermocouple in my race
        car to check temps.. it was a 99* day and after a pass and the drive back
        to my pit spot and let it set for a 15 minute soak period it was 149* inside
        and that wasnt measuring the floor temps(just inside temps)

Comment

Aluminum due to the brighter surface (shiney) will reflect radiant heat and be cooler to an extent. Either way to keep it cool you will need some type of insulation.
          Frank
          --------
          64 Chevy II - Twin turbo 402 LS
          67 Chevy II Wagon - Project

Comment

use an infrared temperature gun to see what the temp is in your car. Moving vs sitting still idling, mine varies quite a bit. Area over the headers gets up to 180 when sitting still...
            My fabulous web page

Comment

The single best thing you can do for in cabin heat control is ceramic coated headers, collectors and x-pipe/h-pipe. Get the exhuast energy/heat out and behind the car.
              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Won't happen on mine....VHT is the only way to fly on a 60s build
                My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  Won't happen on mine....VHT is the only way to fly on a 60s build
                  ceramic coating comes in white too!
                  Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
                  Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
                  Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
                  Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

steel keeps a flow once you set it.
                    wrapping up heat in the engine bay and tunnel, guiding it around is the best answer.

I would never do aluminum...unless engine was behind me.
                    steel also has a stubborn resistance number beyond aluminum. For tuning, that is good.

Ever felt just a direct driven fan pushing underneatha body? I would not be surprised to find dents just from that fan sending things into aluminum.

I only speak up as I have hollow rockers on a tin can wagon. Something miraculaous happened after alayer of polished stainless steel. I do not even need air conditioning.
                    air recirc button set to outside, away it goes.

steel is the safer winner to me, know how to use it.

Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by LAGNAF View Post
                      ceramic coating comes in white too!
                      yeah, but it costs money, and doesn't stain and flake off properly like VHT.

Doing things the old way is a concept that not many guys can comprehend
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                      X