Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had this same question not long ago,
    went with summit 140gph.

built in relief, just audbile enough to know 12-14psi is kicking around in circles.

a trick for any pump is to let it somehow get to its maximum.

I am at 12psi on a 1 barrel carb and four cyls, full return.
    the last problem was the regulator does not exist, I made one.
    I actually like the noise.

Another tip I got, I worked on airplanes.. a wavering in pump runtime adds longevity. I am sharing a fuse with hazards and blinkers.. changes runtime everytime I use them ever so slightly.

rotary vane is also a military invention...I am certian it is the toughest and most gentle thing going.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 27, 2014, 03:40 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
      I had this same question not long ago,
      went with summit 140gph.

built in relief, just audbile enough to know 12-14psi is kicking around in circles.

a trick for any pump is to let it somehow get to its maximum.

I am at 12psi on a 1 barrel carb and four cyls, full return.
      the last problem was the regulator does not exist, I made one.
      I actually like the noise.

Another tip I got, I worked on airplanes.. a wavering in pump runtime adds longevity. I am sharing a fuse with hazards and blinkers.. changes runtime everytime I use them ever so slightly.

rotary vane is also a military invention...I am certian it is the toughest and most gentle thing going.
      I was looking at the Summit 140 but I ended up buying the Mallory 140
      mainly from guys I know that run the Mallory and they all said it was a
      quiet pump.. but I'm still going to mount it on the rubber isolators to help
      it out.... it just pisses me off that no one will give you a DB spec on them
      at their operating pressure with just the mounting system that comes with it..
      next thing I MIGHT change will be the roller cam.. that thing is fairly noisey
      also... but at least I know that is a noise that is making power(or at least it
      should be) and I have mine set tight on the lash from the factory spec

Comment

Mallory 140s are gerotor style pumps. They are quieter than the holley rotary vein models (red, blue, black) but you still hear them. A rubber pad and soft joint between hard (aluminum) fuel lines will help. Only other advise would be to carry a spare ... they are hit and miss on longevity.

Holley has some fairly new billet pumps worth looking at for drag week applications .... http://www.holley.com/types/Billet_E...line_Pumps.asp. I just put a -1400 on my car. Extremely quiet + redundancy w/ 2 separate motors. Also E85 friendly. There is some conflicting info online regarding application but from what I can tell the -1800 is just a tuned up version of the -1400 making it the higher hp shorter duration model.
        Last edited by Lou; May 29, 2014, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that info

Comment

Working...
          X