No announcement yet.

DD top 32 Cutoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also believe rule changes in 2015, will eliminate most of the Daily Drivers. They need the room for what they think are the Fastest Street Cars in America. Even though most drive 5 days a year on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by MR P-BODY View Post

Thats the reason I feel it should be broke into 2 groups.. bar
      and no bar(11.50 and 10.0)... otherwise the no bar guys wont
      have much of a shot... if any
      Put a bar in and go racing !!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by clarks body shop View Post

Put a bar in and go racing !!!!!!
        I dont have to worry... I have a full moly cage

Comment

I'm not going to make it this year so it doesn't matter... And if in 15 the 32 car field is below 11.50 I guess it wont still matter didn't win $hit when it was 12's back when... Plus DF doesn't know what the rules are anyways

pl
          Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
          Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

Originally posted by R Munch View Post

Your right Kerby ,This wiil be my eighth year doing this and evey year DD gets faster. Barely squeak in last year. But as you say I probably want make it this year because I refuse to put a roll bar in my car. And I should be real close to the 11.50 if everything goes as planned and I think that wont be fast enough. OH well It will be fun. Sorry to here your passing but it is a long way
            Rod, you will make it easily, all you need is Wide Open Throttle, did you get that looked at yet?

Comment

Originally posted by HemiRick1 View Post
              Rod, you will make it easily, all you need is Wide Open Throttle, did you get that looked at yet?
              Still only 3/4 but it was in the 11's couple weeks ago think he will hurt feeling when its right
              Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
              Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

I've heard this debate for many years now. If you ever saw the after math of a 12.00 hard top car without a rollbar going over the guard rail at 1000ft. you might change your mind. Don't think it happens?it does.
                It's your life and your familys well being you make the decision.
                Last edited by Junior Stock; August 3, 2014, 11:47 AM.

Comment

good point Junior. ^ not to mention Daily Driver doesn't mean straight from the factory like some of you are saying. It means the cars IS or can be driven daily. how does installing a cage make the car impossible to drive every day? we've gone for 100 mile rides up to lexington mi and back in January. I bet there are quite a few no bar cars that don't get driven the way they should to be in that class. I thought that was the point of Drag Week in general, maybe it's just me but i think every car that finishes could be classified as Daily Drivers thats why we do this crazy trip.
                  Last edited by 4eyeTroy; August 3, 2014, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Of course one COULD drive Larry Larson's car every day in certain parts of the country given enough budget and a toughened tookus. So the "could be daily driven" claim is useless.

The "bar versus no bar" thing is never going to be resolved to everyone's satisfaction. NHRA has taken some baby steps for allowing some showroom stockers to race no-bar in their entry-level street racing alternative series (which has ZERO to do with DW safety rules . . . let's not start that canard again).

Some say that driving a "bar car" without a helmet is danger-on-a-stick (Of course those 1960s school buses some of us rode had prominent unpadded bars separating the driver/door area from the passenger area and nobody worried about our barely-knitted skulls back then . . . and I see scores of mopes riding "scooters" on the interstate without brain buckets, which is undoubtedly a lot more dangerous than riding in a "bar car" sans helmet. . . so these points may be somewhat debatable)

And unless you're Squirrel or someone of his hardcore ilk, having a welded-in crossbar DOES make the back seat in MOST coupes fairly unattractive for non-gearhead passenger service.

The bottom line is that if you go to nearly any fairgrounds/bag chair show or cruise "nite", the vast majority of the vehicles don't have bars . . . and many DW DD-class competitors claim they don't want them in their cars.

Whether or not HRM/DF splits the class someday at 11.50 or some other number remains to be seen. But there are some good arguments for the split and almost nothing worthwhile in opposition to it.

Comment

I think I will drive mine to work everyday this week so I can qualify, should I send pictures into hot rod every day so they don't bump me out of the DD or the "not fast enough for anything else" class.

Last edited by BlueCuda340; August 4, 2014, 07:55 AM.
                      1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                      1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

One problem with daily driving most DD-class cars is that it's hard to insure them with anything other than limited-use policies . . . most of which strictly prohibit daily driving.

Only if you've got a huge bank roll that can sustain a large uninsured loss, or a late-model that's adequately covered with normal car insurance, or cheapo hooptie that you don't care about leaving unattended at Walmart can you really daily-drive a DW car.
                        Last edited by 38P; August 4, 2014, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Personally, I would struggle with the pizza cutters on a daily basis! I just don't have any self control and most likely would get myself in trouble pushing too hard on the pedals.

Comment

Oddly enough I have never run into problems with the pizza cutters under a braking scenario, cornering a little but nothing crazy.

I will say this, if your going on drag week and your not sure how old your front tires are....replace them. I had one lose a huge piece last year and luckly not lose the air. I was able to get to a wal mart and got one tire and hit discount tire in indy the next day for the other. They were 11 years old...shame on me! The car did spend an 8 year spell under the cover while I did the Jeep thing and I just assumed they were OK and they were not.
                            1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                            1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

I have no problem insuring my "fast" cars the same as my other cars....liability only. I guess I must have a huge bankroll? which is strange, since I'm unemployed.

btw, it's not ME that is hardcore, it's my kids...they never had a problem with the roll bar. Or the lack of AC. etc.
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I personally wouldn't run cars as nice as that with liability only.

Comment

Working...
                                X