Tip's and trick's on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip's and trick's on the road

Have been planning and making a list of what to bring. Will be pulling a little trailer and have spare parts, slick's, gas can's and tool's on my list including a cooler. What are some tip's that you guys would suggest to bring that would be possibly over looked. Any tip's would be a great help would like to start setting the trailer up and making test trip's here soon. Thank you.

Bring anything unique to your car that you may not be able to get at a local auto parts store. You will find that what you bring is not what breaks. Its the things that you think that will never break that strands you.

Mainly, make sure your cooler is full of cold beer!!!!
    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Set your trailer up so you don't have to unload a ton of stuff just to get a friggin screwdriver out. DAMHIK!
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

RULE: if you bring it, you probably won't need it. (Does not apply to Larry Larson)

So, if you've got the space and the budget:

Valve springs, retainers, rockers, lifters . . . (Valvetrain is the most common DW failure, in my humble observation)
        Set of spark plugs
        Carb gaskets and jet kit
        Gasket set and header gaskets
        Wire (ignition and 10 gauge (heavy enough to work for most systems), connectors and crimp tool
        Starter (the heavy old OEM one you probably ditched for the "lite" mini-starter is a cheap spare . . . ) and relay
        Alternator (old take-off or a used one from self-service JY will suffice)
        Belts
        fuel line
        heater hose (if equipped)
        A selection of hose clamps
        Water can
        Waterless hand cleaner
        Hand sanitizer (petroleum flavored food . . . not so good)
        Fire extinguisher
        Spare nitrous bottles
        JB Weld and Epoxy
        Gasket sealer/RTV
        Electric Impact wrench
        Aluminum racing jack
        Fuel cans
        Scan tool (if OBD II equipped)
        Multimeter
        OEM ignition (if the trick CD system fails)
        Universal joint
        Grease gun (few trick suspension parts are lubed for life)
        Axle slide hammer
        Harmonic balancer puller (just in case the cam/timing set go really wrong)
        Spare shocks (if you're running coil overs)
        Tire plug kit/Slime
        A packing blanket (makes laying on the ground fixing stuff not so uncomfortable)
        Fender covers
        Header wrap and JY heat shield material (just in case you have to rig up an insulator to keep something from cooking . . . good stainless/insulators can sometimes be found at the JY on the top side of mufflers and cats for cheap)
        Shop rags, polishing towels, bug and tar remover, and Quik Detailer
        Duct tape (and a Bear Bond sheet if you're from NASCAR country or anticipate wrecking your junk . . .http://www.circletracksupply.com/bea...epair-kit.html )
        Any reasonably small/light OEM suspension part that will bolt on to replace the trick stuff that breaks.
        Last edited by 38P; May 6, 2014, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I needed a plug wire in '11, I had one with me. I thought I needed some carb gaskets also, but really I just needed to adjust the idle better.

I didn't use anything I had with me in '13. I could have given my spare fuel pump to another racer, but didn't find out he needed it until after he bought a new one and installed it.

Getting some miles on your car is the best thing you can bring. then you'll have confidence in it
          Last edited by squirrel; May 6, 2014, 10:07 AM.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I figured beer was as good as gold if I needed help or (when) on the side of the road. Started buying double's of odd stuff to bring that I hope wont be needed. ^^^^ HAHA That's probably what I would have done too and hope it all got put back in. Kinda think some night testing would be good idea to see what can be fixed at night with flash lights. Thanks for the tip's guy's very helpful hope to hear some more of the way the vet's plan your trip's.

Comment

Originally posted by 38P View Post
              RULE: if you bring it, you probably won't need it. (Does not apply to Larry Larson)

So, if you've got the space and the budget:

Valve springs, retainers, rockers, lifters . . . (Valvetrain is the most common DW failure, in my humble observation)
              Set of spark plugs
              Carb gaskets and jet kit
              Gasket set and header gaskets
              Wire (ignition and 10 gauge (heavy enough to work for most systems), connectors and crimp tool
              Starter (the heavy old OEM one you probably ditched for the "lite" mini-starter is a cheap spare . . . ) and relay
              Alternator (old take-off or a used one from self-service JY will suffice)
              Belts
              fuel line
              heater hose (if equipped)
              A selection of hose clamps
              Water can
              Waterless hand cleaner
              Hand sanitizer (petroleum flavored food . . . not so good)
              Fire extinguisher
              Spare nitrous bottles
              JB Weld and Epoxy
              Gasket sealer/RTV
              Electric Impact wrench
              Aluminum racing jack
              Fuel cans
              Scan tool (if OBD II equipped)
              Multimeter
              OEM ignition (if the trick CD system fails)
              Universal joint
              Grease gun (few trick suspension parts are lubed for life)
              Axle slide hammer
              Harmonic balancer puller (just in case the cam/timing set go really wrong)
              Spare shocks (if you're running coil overs)
              Tire plug kit/Slime
              A packing blanket (makes laying on the ground fixing stuff not so uncomfortable)
              Fender covers
              Header wrap and JY heat shield material (just in case you have to rig up an insulator to keep something from cooking . . . good stainless/insulators can sometimes be found at the JY on the top side of mufflers and cats for cheap)
              Shop rags, polishing towels, bug and tar remover, and Quik Detailer
              Duct tape (and a Bear Bond sheet if you're from NASCAR country or anticipate wrecking your junk . . .http://www.circletracksupply.com/bea...epair-kit.html )
              Any reasonably small/light OEM suspension part that will bolt on to replace the trick stuff that breaks.

Spare nitrous bottles did not need this lol
              Scan tool (if OBD II equipped) did not need this either

Brought the rest though, and need to bring enough tools to replace anything that can break. I also brought a spare battery, hoses, belts, dist gear.
              Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
              Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
              Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
              Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

The tire plug kit from O'Riellys, it was the last thing I bought and the first thing I needed at BG.

Comment

Originally posted by tsanchez View Post

Spare nitrous bottles did not need this lol
                  Scan tool (if OBD II equipped) did not need this either

Brought the rest though, and need to bring enough tools to replace anything that can break. I also brought a spare battery, hoses, belts, dist gear.
                  Good suggestions . . . One of those "jump boxes" like DF & Finn use on "Roadkill" isn't a bad idea, either (an awful lot of "Pinks" episodes turned on flat battery "drama") . . . I just carry jumper cables because my budget is too small . . .

I didn't have a spare nitrous bottle and needed it when Monte ran out of spray.
                  I forgot my scan tool and needed it (few things are worse than visualizing exactly where you left something at home when you need it in the middle of the night)
                  I didn't bring the take-off OEM rear trailing arms . . . and needed one of them when an aftermarket bushing ate itself (made a couple hundred miles of fun driving before a new arm drop-shipped to the next track . . . )
                  Last edited by 38P; May 6, 2014, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Don't leave your spare coil on the workbench 600 miles away, it will be the first thing you end up needing.

And thank you to Mr. P body, quick 52, and Jack from Rocket fuels for helping me out of that little bind.
                    Last edited by BlueCuda340; May 6, 2014, 01:14 PM.
                    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

so if we can limp it to the next track we can have parts shipped/delivered with out being dq

Comment

Yep, the UPS truck is not considered a mule car.
                        1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                        1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

That is great info to go off of. Might have to get a little creative on packing the trailer. How strict are they about antifreeze? Will they make u drain your system out. The track I run at has no problems with it so never had a problem. Don't want to go to Tulsa and work on it, just have fun.

Comment

I run antifreeze.
                            Alum jack stands if you can find them
                            Sit back and look at the car bring the tools you need to take the whole car apart. tools get heavy if you bring everything.
                            Plugs and a case of oil.
                            5 gal of fuel
                            Gallon of water couple quarts of trans fluid.
                            12v air pump
                            Zip ties
                            Pack the parts in boxes write on the outside what is in them.
                            I had a box that had just the tools needed to flip the car at the track less things to sort thru or get lost.
                            Rain x

Tim
                            86 Mustang
                            454 LSX FTI ls3 Mast 4500 Holley EFI 8" with C4, FTI Hyd Roller 9.24 143.5 1.33 3.73 5.84 116.21

Comment

If the newbies want to learn how to properly pack the trunk of your car just watch Mike Crow unload the trunk of his Dart.Yes he does practice loading the trunk. 20 pounds of crap can fit in a 10 pd bag.One thing that he does that I copied was all the little stuff put in a tackle box.Proper use of space.

Comment

Working...
                              X