Route and mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Route and mileage

I've been wondering about something in the Hotrod blog about the 351 entrant boo-boo here: http://blogs.hotrod.com/uh-oh-351-ca...#axzz30ea8uUee. Specifically this part:

"Because we will need to extend the racing hours, we expect that this year’s daily drives will be shorter than they have been in the past to make up the difference. However, the Friday finals are being held in the late afternoon and evening, so we may have an extra cruise on Friday morning to ensure we keep the overall mileage just above 1,000. Details to come."

I googled the route and using the default Google route, I come up with 1161 miles. Not sure how they could cut more than 161 miles from the route unless they change the track order. Anybody else notice this? Thoughts?
    Last edited by Firechickenman; May 3, 2014, 11:19 AM.
    Drag Week 2014 SR/BB/NA 11.12 @ 118.56 average
    Drag Week 2015 SR/BB/NA 10.84 @ 124.97 average

If they change the track order they wreck hotel reservations, so I doubt that would happen.

I for one think they should treat the routes just like normal.
    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Yah, I agree. I'm fine with it as is. Switching the route around would cause a hotel reservation/cancellation fiasco near the level of the registration rush last weekend...that's why I was wondering how else they could cut mileage from the route.
      Drag Week 2014 SR/BB/NA 11.12 @ 118.56 average
      Drag Week 2015 SR/BB/NA 10.84 @ 124.97 average

Comment

I don't think there will be or should be any mileage cut, more than likely a large amount of the cars won't show, due to financial reasons or unable to get the car ready. But who knows, I guess we will see when we get there

Comment

The routes are not normally the direct GPS or Google maps way of getting there. They run us down some different roads and through small towns etc, to add mileage to the trip and to give us some cool check points to hit. But like you said I don't see an easy way to cut mileage off of this deal.

In 2012 we had some beautiful drives through Arkansas. Last year we had more interstate drives than in 2012 but we also had some real nice two lane drives next to the Mississippi River. This year, I think we will see lots and lots of nothing.
          Last edited by BlueCuda340; May 4, 2014, 04:35 AM.

Comment

I hope hot rod does not change the drives to much . Driving interstate the hole thing would change the feel of drag week . I know they will do best they can now that numbers are way up . Just hope it's not for a certin group .

Comment

Originally posted by stormts71 View Post
              I hope hot rod does not change the drives to much . Driving interstate the hole thing would change the feel of drag week . I know they will do best they can now that numbers are way up . Just hope it's not for a certin group .
              The drive for Memphis to Tulsa in 2012 was about 400+ miles of interstate.....Also great check point directions...lol

Comment

I hope we don't drive on any interstates or toll roads . . . But I read their post as suggesting more interstates and fewer two-lane adventures . . .

Comment

The turnpike is not the reason anyone loves drag week...hope they stick with the regularly scheduled format. If nothing else, limit it to 2 passes each before noon unless the lanes are empty. Just an idea...

Comment

If you punch it in on MapQuest, it looks like we will spend most of the trip running up and down I-35, but this is Drag Week, and we know better! If you drag the route over to the adjacent 2 lanes, that for some strange reason, only run directly north-south or perfectly east-west in that part of the country, you will see that doing so doesn't add any significant mileage. My guess is that is the more likely scenario.

The easiest way to keep it under a 1000, is just to lie on the map like they did last year. "Drive 4 miles and turn left", yeah right, it was 44 miles!

Comment

Turn at the red school House.Oops it go tore down last week.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparBilly View Post
                        If you punch it in on MapQuest, it looks like we will spend most of the trip running up and down I-35, but this is Drag Week, and we know better! If you drag the route over to the adjacent 2 lanes, that for some strange reason, only run directly north-south or perfectly east-west in that part of the country, you will see that doing so doesn't add any significant mileage. My guess is that is the more likely scenario.

The easiest way to keep it under a 1000, is just to lie on the map like they did last year. "Drive 4 miles and turn left", yeah right, it was 44 miles!
                        All this really has me on the fence of what gear to run this year. If I can squeeze a 28" tire I am considering using the 4.56 gear set I have, won't raise my cruise RPM up a whole lot and hopefully help kick the 360 out of the gate a little faster.

Comment

Originally posted by ksj2 View Post
                          Turn at the red school House.Oops it go tore down last week.
                          Now THOSE are some hot rod directions. lol

Comment

Working...
                          X