Second thoughts - who's having them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second thoughts - who's having them?

Folks - there's lots of emotions wrapped up in this event, lots of reasons to go, lots of reasons not to go.
    Everyone's situation is a little different - there's family, work, different distances to the start / finish track, etc, etc.
    Some folks can use hotel points from business travel to help off set the cost of the week, others not so much.
    Some are camping at tracks (or KOA, or Walmart parking lots, or?)

I'm starting to have serious doubts - we didn't make it last year when it was closer to home.
    This year is again (like '12) 900 miles each way.

There are other events closer to home that would be easier and less expensive to attend, but there's only one drag week.

hmmmm
    There's always something new to learn.

I'm too damn stupid to have second thoughts.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

John, I had second thought every year I went. Hell having second thoughts about this year and NOT going.
      Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

None at all... Tulsa is 1400 miles away, but I'll be there.
        DW2013 - DNF (Gateway - trans failure)
        DW2014 - SR BB/PA class winner!
        DW2015 - Finished in 1 piece (for once!)
        DW2016 - Still "Fox Free" ;)

Comment

I usually have second thoughts just as I am leaving the first track on Day 1.
          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
            I usually have second thoughts just as I am leaving the first track on Day 1.
            Whats that noise? lol

I have had some second thoughts and I live in Tulsa and my car is %90 ready. If my Dad wasn't my copilot I probably wouldn't go this year but he went last year and it was a great time so I hope we have as much fun this year. The route is just weak, the drives will likely be pretty boring and I have raced at all the tracks before with the exception of great bend.
            1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
            1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

I had second thoughts last year and decided to back out after I started through the process for a new job. I hated not going and then watching via the live feeds, just wasn't the same not seeing friends and realizing what I built the car/truck to do. This year I am more anxious than ever to go and I will go even if I have to be on the waiting list. BTW still waiting on the new job, thats what happens when you've been in a non-union environment for 18 years and try to slide in I guess.

Comment

I was in the "want to try this once" category. But that all changed during that first drive from Tulsa to Ennis two years ago. My emotions were all over the place driving in an untested truck with a just replaced transmission (Monday afternoon) and ZERO chance of making the top 32 DD. Cameron & I were like "Are we really doing this?"

I have switched to long term substitute teaching (little more $$$) just to get last year paid off and have a little for this year. I ask myself ALL THE TIME if this is what I should be doing and the answer always is yep.

As long as I can get registered / or maybe even not, DW is probably stuck with me for a while. Have met a bunch of "crazies" on this event, but have a bunch more to meet.
                Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  I'm too damn stupid to have second thoughts.

EXACTLY!!!! I figure I'm on the back side of life, no doubt, I better do as much shit as I can before I start falling apart, or worse yet, DIE!!! If you wait till the perfect time to do shit, you'll die regretting all those things you didn't do.

I don't think we've ever had less than a 2000 mile round trip just to get to DW, and I've towed with every POS you can think of, that damn school bus was no picnic last year, believe me! lol Drag Week takes a LOT of intestinal fortitude, you don't have it, stay home and let someone go who REALLY wants to be there..

I always say, there are 3 kinds of people in this world, people who make things happen, people who watch things happen, and those that wonder what happened, you decide where you fit. :-)
                  Last edited by TheEngineWorks.com; April 24, 2014, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nesabo View Post
                    John, I had second thought every year I went. Hell having second thoughts about this year and NOT going.
                    winner winner chicken dinner.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Damn it, I decided not to go this year because a few of us are planning next yr and last yr cost a bunch. Then Hot rod sends out another email saying that I havent used my exclusive pre reg opportunity and now Im thinking...

AHHHHHHHH
                      Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
                      Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
                      Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
                      Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

I appreciate everyone's input, I'm glad I started the conversation. I loved DW in '12 - it was in Tulsa then too - 900 + miles each way, and we brought a back up car.

I'm just about convinced I'm NOT going this year, there are other things closer that will require a lot less money and time and fit my life better at this point.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

It was hell watching the racing on the computer in '12.
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            It was hell watching the racing on the computer in '12.
                            I will probably be at my work desk with my cell phone's unlimited data plan streaming it =P Shedding a tear for not being the car going down the track. Again, if my work load in September drops off and my boss takes pity for some time off, I might try and make the event as a walk in. Figure worse case I'll take a sharpie to a piece of cardboard saying "No Drag Week ticket, looking for a ride, will buy beer" and see who picks me up
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Free beer? Isn't that cost prohibitive?
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X