Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many 9 second or faster street cars exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hemi Joel View Post
    how many cars do you think exist in this country that could show up at the drag strip, bolt on a set of slicks and run 9's or quicker? And still be able to make a drag week style drive without breaking down. Do you think there's 500? 200? 1000?
    A shit load I have a 69 chevelle BBC drive it any where on pump gas go to the track put good gas in it and turn on the bottle 9.60 141 and then drive it home It wont pass tech dont have a bar in it.
    But there is alot of cars like mine out there.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparBilly View Post
      The vast majority of cars that fit the criteria are trailered everywhere, and very rarely get driven on the street. I think that's the whole reason events like Power Tour and Drag Week came into being, to get these cars out of garages, and trailers, and get them back on the public streets where they can be seen, enjoyed, and appreciated.
      I think you are wrong there is alot of cars that do fit the criteria and do drive many miles on the street and drive to the track run the # and drive home

Comment

drove it to and from the track,after doing some tweaking it went 9:80@133mph.

Comment

Very impressive accomplishment. How many other cars were there that did what you did?
          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

crusty nova was there, he drove in pulling his trailer,most of the 9 and faster came in ON a trailer.. the event had a 21 mile cruise through town and some highway..wasn't enough to really weed out the race cars from the street cars..i did get some strange looks when I drove out after the event ..

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
              drove it to and from the track,after doing some tweaking it went 9:80@133mph.
              Sounds like you've got the car working good Mike. That's pretty good et for the mph. Same cam profile as last year, or did you make any changes to get it to live?

2011 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.89 avg.
              2012 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.55 avg.
              all time best 10.27 @ 127

Comment

changed a lot,,was a 548 .now a 555.cam is a comp custom grind , a little bigger too.

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                  I'd bet it is a huge number. Power adder technology has made 9's the new 10. I'd also bet that the majority of those cars are not track legal to run in the 9's.
                  I agree! One other thing, I think now days there are TONS and TONS of cars that can run the MPH to get in the 9's....but don't have the hook or driver to get there.
                  There are four of us at work the have well over 600rwph, only because its sooooo easy to do. Which is also somewhat scary... 1) 600hp at the wheels is no big deal these days 2) Guys with minimal experience, like myself, are building cars with more power than they are probably ready for, just because now its a bolt-on deal.

Also, I LOVE my buddys drag only Chevette!!! But man...it seems like there are a bunch of "street" cars that run similar numbers as his trailered drag only car does.... But just because its not street legal shouldn't take away from his accomplishment of building and driving a car into the 9's, right?

Comment

Working...
                  X