Hot Rod class: No 426 Hemi's alowed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod class: No 426 Hemi's alowed!

I just got the word from KeithTurk that David Freiburger says no 426 Hemi's are allowed in the Hot rod class. I figured they would be alowd since it's part of the big block Mopar engine family, which was introduced in 1958, thus in my mind it is compliant with the 1962 and earlier engine family rule. I'm not complaining about the rule, but it would have been nice to know a year ago before I built the gen 2 hemi and stuck it in my 31 coupe. I just wanted to post to this so that nobody else starts down the same path. By the way they also said no big block Chevys, which was already pretty clear in the rules.

Both engines came out in 1964, that's a tad later than 1962.

I can see how you could get the wrong impression, since the Hemi and Wedge blocks are almost identical. Bummer.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      Both engines came out in 1964, that's a tad later than 1962. I can see how you could get the wrong impression, since the Hemi and Wedge blocks are almost identical. Bummer.
      yes, that's what I was banking on. That the 426 Hemi was built upon the same architecture as the big block Mopar. I think they need to define better what constitutes an engine family. Another ? Is what about a 427 SOHC Ford FE? An FE is obviously legal, can you throw a set of cammer heads on one and run hot rod?

Comment

Very sorry to hear Joel - I was really looking forward to seeing your coupe. Will you bring another car or just say no to the event? I can't blame you either way.
        Hot rod rules sure make things easy for the SBC guys.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'll be there with the coupe. I could always run the 426 in a different class, or throw in a 392. I just need to figure out the best course of action...

Comment

Forgive my mopar ignorance - can you "just" swap out the heads and run the same short block?
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
              Forgive my mopar ignorance - can you "just" swap out the heads and run the same short block?
              It might be possible if one was starting from scratch, but not too practical. The piston domes are different, so at this point it wouldn't work. I know that years ago racers put Hemi heads on wedge blocks, but they had to weld bosses into the valley to receive studs that are unique to the Hemi head. Anyway, I like the looks and performance of the Hemi way to much to switch to a wedge.

Comment

Different cam, too...all sorts of things are different.

I can see HRMs side of this, a 426 hemi looks nothing like a 426 wedge...aside from the distributor and water pump.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Hemi Joel View Post
                  I'll be there with the coupe. I could always run the 426 in a different class, or throw in a 392. I just need to figure out the best course of action...
                  Call it a 392

Comment

392 392 392 392 392 392 392

I love Early Hemi's!!
                    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by MR P-BODY View Post

Call it a 392
                      Call it a BBF and put it in Gasser... oh wait. At least it's almost consistent. Sorry man, I do love the way the old hemis look ...

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

This is something we all get to live with unless we use small block chivies. I suppose an LS is ok because its still part of the 'unbroken' line of small block chevys according to the all the magazine covers; never mind its peculiar similarity to an FE. Wait that would apply to the newest driect injection ones too, right? Strange days when you can't run a 426 hemi in a 'hot rod'. Hope to see you there with the 392 Joel. I know some guys who built a pretty stout one for the EMC.
                        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                        X