4th Gen Z-28 or T/A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th Gen Z-28 or T/A

Been kicking around getting a 4th gen Z-28 for a DD. Anyone on here have some REAL world mpg numbers on a 5.7 with an auto trans, or a 6 spd??

Also, has anyone had problems with them?? What to look for, etc..

My 98 1/2 ton has the 5.7 with over 260K, so I'm not worried about the engine..

thanks!
    Dan
    Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
    Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
    Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
    Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Rearends are weak... dash panels are notorious for cracking/falling apart (typical GM build quality), but the LS engine is pretty much bulletproof (as long as you don't get stupid with it).
    DW2013 - DNF (Gateway - trans failure)
    DW2014 - SR BB/PA class winner!
    DW2015 - Finished in 1 piece (for once!)
    DW2016 - Still "Fox Free" ;)

Comment

Sell the Chevelle? Or is it going to be a RACE CAR?

Comment

Originally posted by ksj2 View Post
        Sell the Chevelle? Or is it going to be a RACE CAR?
        I wish!! Twin turbos.. But.. life isn't allowing that! Selling the chevelle..

Comment

Boo Hiss.

Comment

Fun cars. I have a 98 T/A that I took on DragWeek in 2012. http://streetsceneks.50.forumer.com/...-t2209604.html As stated above -rear ends are weak and typical plastic/Tupperware interior. Nice size aftermarket for parts/upgrades..check out LS1tech.com for all the information you would want to know. My car(in stock form) would run 14 flat in the 1/4 mile. Got 24-26 mpg(stock). Auto tranny(4l60E) and stock 10 bolt rear. I beat the shit out of mine with cam/gears/nitrous (best time was a 11.6) combo at DragWeek. Rearend held up surprisingly well, but I replaced it with a ford 9" in 2013.
            http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...0101507a-1.jpgI'd rather attempt to do something great and fail than to attempt to do nothing and succeed.

Comment

lt1's kill the opti and water pump around 100k. firebirds headlight motors strip gears. t-tops will leak eventually and ruin your seats. i've had lt1's that got 26+ with the ac on at 80mph, 6 speed car. had an auto 97 z28 that would do 29mpg all interstate if you were trying. good friend has an 01 z28 with an ms3 cam, 4.10 moser 12 bolt and 6 speed that knocks down 24mpg highway all day long. another has an 02 collectors t/a convertible that somehow got a 2.73 gear in it with a 6 speed. that got 30mpg from tulsa to vegas and back. in town is a totally different story on all of them. i really like 4th gens. no better bang for the buck IMO. great handling, good looking, good sounding powerhouse that still gets mileage. win, win, win, and win.
              1980 Turbo T/A - Turbocharged 408ci Pontiac. survived DW 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Comment

I use a 94 Z-28 as a DD. Absolutely love it, except when it's slick underfoot. Great drivetrain (Lt-1/6-speed) gets about 28 if I keep my foot out of it, and reliable as can be. 130K so far........t-tops are fine. I think you won't be disappointed if you find a good one that hasn't been abused much.
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I have a 94 z28 i ran last year on DW. Bought the car new. It is not very comfortable and a pita to work on. Going foxbody LS swap for this year.
                  78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Comment

I daily drive a '99 TA convertible 540 miles a week... yes 108 miles a day. It was a factory auto/2.73 car and got 22-24mpg mixed driving and straight highway trips saw 25-26mpg.

A few years ago I put a T56 and 4.10’s in it and it still gets about the same mileage… cruises 2k at 75mph. I enter all my mileage data in an app on my phone and track it and consistently get 21-23. Occasionally it will get 20 or 24 depending on driving conditions. Straight highway trip it got right under 25mpg.

The LS1 4th gens are pretty solid cars with great handling/brakes/power. As mentioned, the stock 10 bolts are weak, but fine for normal driving and a little abuse with a 6spd and a lot of abuse with an auto.

Any more questions, let me know… I’ve had quite a few 3rd and 4th gens and I’m about to roll 200k on my ’99 with zero issues… not even a starter or alternator (jinxed now!). Basically normal maintentance and a battery in the past 6 years & 120k we’ve owned it.

'91 Trans Am GTA: 402ci LS2, faceplated T56, 9", and nitrous.
                    2013 Drag Week SURVIVOR! - SR/SB/PA & 2014 Drag Week SURVIVOR! - SR/SB/NA

Comment

Well I decided to go another route.. Wife wasn't real impressed with the trunk size of the Camaro.
                      So I bought a 2004 GTO!! Low miles in pretty descent shape.
                      I'll post up some pics later tonight.
                      Trunk on the GTO isn't much better, but I didn't ask her either..
                      She's kinda pissed at me now..

Comment

Don't forget Mothers Day is coming.Be sure and hit Jegs and Summit for gift ideas.

Comment

and I am opening on-line marriage counselling sessions. (need $$$$$)
                          Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Comment

Good looking whip. GTOs have a better build quality then fbodys for sure...
                              http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...0101507a-1.jpgI'd rather attempt to do something great and fail than to attempt to do nothing and succeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X