Turbo placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo placement

Looking at a few cars for this year. Wondering about classes in regards to turbo placement. Both vettes, the first has twins mounted just before the firewall tucked tight while the other had a rear mount big single. What does the rear mount do to the class it would be in?

In my 53 Chevy.. I have it mounted left front. T4 Housing 72mm

Comment

As far as I can decipher from the rules, there are no rules on turbo placement. Tires, yes. Turbos, no. Look in the DW FAQ sticky for a link to the rules.
      Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Street Race, Turbos cannot be aft of the firewall.
        Last edited by nesabo; March 26, 2014, 01:49 PM.
        Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

sorry, will try to enlarge, from Page 8 of the 2013 rules.
          Last edited by nesabo; March 26, 2014, 01:50 PM.
          Neal

Comment

Good stuff, thank you. I thought that was the case but I couldn't find it anywhere I looked.

Comment

I missed that too. I wonder what the difference is in the location of the turbo? Surely it has no performance advantage being in one place or another.
              Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Originally posted by Orange65 View Post
                I missed that too. I wonder what the difference is in the location of the turbo? Surely it has no performance advantage being in one place or another.
                it would have more time to cool inlet temps.. I would guess anyways.
                Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
                Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
                Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
                Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

I think it's more to prevent someone from mounting the turbo(s) inside the cabin or trunk area.
                  Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                  1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                  1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                  1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                  1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                  1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Read more, on page 7, Intercoolers or watertanks as well cannot be aft of the firewall in street race.

I ever really read that deep in these rules before since I never had a fast car..
                    Last edited by nesabo; March 27, 2014, 09:21 AM.
                    Neal

Comment

Darn it! My turbo is under the bed. Everything else is in front of the fire wall.
                      Originally posted by nesabo View Post
                      Read more, on page 7, Intercoolers or watertanks as well cannot be aft of the firewall in street race. I ever really read that deep in these rules before since I never had a fast car..
                      2003 GMC Sonoma LQ4/4L80e Turbo Drag Week project

Comment

Originally posted by JOHNBOY66 View Post
                        Darn it! My turbo is under the bed. Everything else is in front of the fire wall.
                        JohnBoy I think the truck would alter from this rule as the turbo isn't in the passenger area. Best to email hot rod and ask for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyG View Post
                          JohnBoy I think the truck would alter from this rule as the turbo isn't in the passenger area. Best to email hot rod and ask for sure.
                          I just read through the 2014 rules. The intercooler and water tank can not be aft of the firewall. The turbo is not mentioned anymore. So I am good for Street Race Power Adder.

Comment

Best to send an email then show up and be "surprised"
                            Neal

Comment

Originally posted by nesabo View Post
                              Best to send an email then show up and be "surprised"
                              The no turbo aft of Firewall rule is still there in Street. So it is either run Super Street which I don't have the chassis or suspension for or turn it down and run Daily Driver. 8.50 ten point cage and stock leaf springs with Cal Tracks. I like my turbo where it is. Not a lot of room under hood for it with the LS and functioning AC. Email time.

Comment

Working...
                              X