My Drag Week car build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Drag Week car build

It's been a little slow on the forum so I thought I would post up my new car build for DW. It's an 88 mustang I bought as a roller. I said I wouldn't ever crossbreed a car but I'm now eating my words since it's getting a 5.3 turbo with a glide. I thought I would post my progress so far. It's my first time to build a turbo anything so it ain't perfect but should work. I'm going to run a t76 turbo,80lb deka injectors,head studs,small cam,ls9 head gaskets,holley hp efi. I had a glide built with trans brake and ptc billet converter for turbo car. It's got a 8.8 rear with all the good stuff. it's already got a 8.50 cert cage but I'm not allowed to go faster than a 10.0 or 135mph. Any way here is some of my build and will add more as I get it done.

The car as I bought it as a roller.

Test fitting the motor.It's got a tublar k member so it fits like a glove.

Made a bracket to mount turbo flange so I would have a point to work from.

Hot side piping done.

Inside the y pipe I built going to turbo flange.Keep in mind this is my first attempt at building a turbo kit so all is not perfect.

Now on to cold side intercooler piping. My tig skills aren't the best in the world but managed to get the pipe to fit into the wheel well's pretty good.

Intercooler mounted. I'm changing the boots to black so the blue one's will be gone.The intercooler goes all the way to top of bumper cover so I may have to cut holes in bumper cover for more air flow but don't want to.

As you can see I got the turbosmart waste gate,downpipe and bov mounted in this pic. I'm going to header wrap everything on the hotside.

78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Not bad for the first time.... a 76 should make it scoot right along...
    you might just add a deflector to turn the air up into the cooler instead of
    cutting holes

Comment

Looking good. Keep us posted as it is the most exciting thing on this forum right now.

Comment

Thanks for livening up the place,love the build,cant wait to see what kind of numbers you get,,what gear are you going to run in the rear,,and what converter?

Comment

nice build! My oldest is getting prepared to do that same thing, but with a Fairmont wagon (with me assisting).. so I'll be paying close attention to your thread
          DW2013 - DNF (Gateway - trans failure)
          DW2014 - SR BB/PA class winner!
          DW2015 - Finished in 1 piece (for once!)
          DW2016 - Still "Fox Free" ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Paul View Post
            Thanks for livening up the place,love the build,cant wait to see what kind of numbers you get,,what gear are you going to run in the rear,,and what converter?
            The rear gear is 3.55 with 275 mt drag radials. The converter is a 9.5 inch ptc billet converter. I can't remember what stall it is but I remember them saying its tight being a turbo car. Hope it goes at least a 10.0 in quarter. Want to run on e85 but worried about finding it on the road and fuel mileage.
            78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Comment

Looks like a nice car. I like the project. Please keep us up to date.

Mike Reichen

Comment

Originally posted by AdvAutoBob View Post
                nice build! My oldest is getting prepared to do that same thing, but with a Fairmont wagon (with me assisting).. so I'll be paying close attention to your thread
                I'm a carb and distributor man so this stuff is all new to me so I might not be the one to get advice from lol. I was going to run a stock computer with hp tuners but am going with holley hp efi as it is much more user friendly for a efi tuning dummy like me. Tomorrow I hope to finish the cooling system up,it's all plumbed with braided hose and AN fittings. I didn't realize how expensive doing cooling system this way was but didn't want to risk blowing a head gasket and blowing a stock rubber radiator hose off.

Comment

Is that the old fast track performance car? Looks just like it.
                  -Jeff
                  Street car with a 5 speed, 427ci SBF 9.86 at 136mph
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GKQ2xpZraU
                  I survived Drag Week 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Doc's Notch View Post
                    Is that the old fast track performance car? Looks just like it.
                    Yes it is. I bought it minus engine and trans from a guy a few months back.

Comment

Got external coolant tank mounted.

Welded -16 fitting into my radiator for a fill.

Got my fuel pressure regulator mounted and fuel lines ran.

Going to get the throttle cable mounted and working tonight,then start pulling the engine to put the cam,valve springs,head studs,f-body oil pan. Then it's all going in one last time.

Comment

That looks good, Nice looking car. If the inlet is going to be inside the fender you might think about a splash shield. Its been known to rain at DW and a dirt and mud soaked air cleaner can be an issue.
                        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                          That looks good, Nice looking car. If the inlet is going to be inside the fender you might think about a splash shield. Its been known to rain at DW and a dirt and mud soaked air cleaner can be an issue.

I think I'm going to run a filter under the hood while on road and block hole in fender off. Then at the track run a pipe out the fender for fresh air while racing.

Comment

Looking great man!!! are you running stock internals? and what psi you thinkin?

Comment

Awesome sheet metal work

Comment

Working...
                              X