Valve springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve springs

What do you do for your engine when it sits for long periods of time like all winter, Some parts of the country you can just drive it once and awhile. My street car I start it till it gets warm enough for the fans to come on once a month. The drag car engine is not runnable so I rotate the crank 360 degree's then another 180 so the valves and springs sit different. Mainly so the same ones are not collapsed all the time. I,ve heard of taking the rocker arms off for the down time. These are solid roller's with about 250 lbs relaxed and 800 + full compressed but I think it would apply to all springs. Good luck to all in the upcoming race to register. Vince
    First place SSBBNA 2014 and 2015
    Second place SSBBNA 2016
    Third place SSBBNA 2017
    Quickest ET in DD and Quickest Pontiac 2008, 2016 and 2017
    All 13 years of Drag Week in a Black 1969 Pontiac with Pontiac Power

I am lucky enough to drive it from time to time. If I had to shut it down all winter I would pull the rockers off because I know I wouldn't be good at keeping it rotated.
    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Only reason I see for removing the rockers is to seal the cylinder from moisture and such. Aka, help out the cylinder walls. Rusty valves would be a separate issue.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
        Only reason I see for removing the rockers is to seal the cylinder from moisture and such. Aka, help out the cylinder walls. Rusty valves would be a separate issue.

It sure would have helped with preventing this! I have this kind of junk in a port or two also.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I also have heard of mice getting in through the open exhaust valve. I had a 454 in a frost protection fan for apples live one winter. Piss and metal equals rust and a frozen cylinder. Not an easy fix. Cover exhaust ports now.
          Second place SSBBNA 2016
          Third place SSBBNA 2017

Comment

I've never even considered taking the rockers off to "relax" the springs. A spring being statically compressed or stretched isn't going to do any harm as long as it's within it's working range. This has been debated in the firearms world as to whether it hurts magazines to be left fully loaded for long periods of time or not. I also don't start any of my "toys" over the winter unless I'm going to drive it enough to get the oil hot enough to evaporate the condensation that ends up in the oil. Otherwise, I just let 'em sleep. Never though about critters getting in the cylinder though!
            Drag Week 2014 SR/BB/NA 11.12 @ 118.56 average
            Drag Week 2015 SR/BB/NA 10.84 @ 124.97 average

Comment

I always make sure that if I drive mine it gets driven long enough to get fully warmed up. I also check to see if the tires still have smoke in them and if the tach works in the needed RPM range.
              1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
              1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

I pull the rockers off every winter.... I have lost some spring
                pressure when it sat for a long time... thats 320# on seat and
                real close to 900# open

Comment

Originally posted by MR P-BODY View Post
                  I pull the rockers off every winter.... I have lost some spring
                  pressure when it sat for a long time... thats 320# on seat and
                  real close to 900# open
                  X2 but not all just the ones in cycle and i'm not at those pressures I;m around 280 seat 750 open

Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
                  Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

Hmmmm, you guys are running a lot of spring. I have 230 on the seat, 710 over the nose, .830 lift, 7700ish shift point. I would pull the rockers if it was going to sit for more than a month or two. No real science, just paranoia. We'll see where it is with the new cam at .903. I think the bigger question is the quality of the spring and how long they'll last with a given combination. I had my first spring failure last year as I tried to stretch them for two full years as I'd done in the past with smaller cams. Gauge said ok, but apparently they were done. Will run better spring this time.
                    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Who,s will you be going to Bill.? I'm using PAC now. Did you get shook up yesterday?
                      Second place SSBBNA 2016
                      Third place SSBBNA 2017

Comment

Originally posted by quick 52 View Post
                        X2 but not all just the ones in cycle and i'm not at those pressures I;m around 280 seat 750 open
                        you should use what I do! Springs from ball point pens never a problem!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by R Munch View Post
                          you should use what I do! Springs from ball point pens never a problem!!!!
                          I tried those springs... but they are a bit small to fit over
                          the valve stem.... plus I really had to stretch them out
                          to get my 2" installed height
                          Last edited by MR P-BODY; March 18, 2014, 06:35 AM.

Comment

215/580 here, .685/.685 solid roller, I never fart with backing the rockers off. Heck, my springs were used when I bought them. lol
                            Last edited by BBR; March 18, 2014, 06:39 AM.
                            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGTO View Post
                              Who,s will you be going to Bill.? I'm using PAC now. Did you get shook up yesterday?
                              Honestly, didn't feel it. I've been running Isky 9705 which is apparently identical to a Pac blue stripe. This motor we're stepping up a bit to the Isky Tool Room RAD treated springs. I don't have the number handy. The trick to longevity seems to be the .040-.060 distance from coil bind which helps control harmonics; that and staying away from the really crazy lobes. We've been sneaking up on these for some time staying with the Comp RX/HCX combination. The change this year compared to the last build is the .5" lobe lift with the 1.8:1 rockers vs.the .460" from 2011. We've been pretty fanatical about geometry and I believe the shaft rockers are also a big part of keeping the valve train stable. I'm sold now on the Isky EZRoll lifters (bushed) and I'm running the .904" Mopar/AMC size which has a bigger wheel. Sorry for the long answer but you know that the valve train thing is the major issue with the DW N/A cars. Are coming back with the black bird?

I saw you changed trannies. I think that's a good move as you were at the ragged edge of the OD trans power handling. Brian Rock has hit that issue too even with the lower first gear ratio and all the trick parts.
                              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                              X