No announcement yet.

Anyone Drive Their Entry To/From DW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the long haul races, I like to map u-haul locations close to the track for just in case scenarios. In 2011 I was lucky to break in Topeka on the last day and caught a break by Crow hauling me home. Otherwise im 0-3 ever hauling my junk to a race. Its just fun to drive to/from for me.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      keep in mind I've driven my 55 almost 100k miles, several long trips, never been stranded very far from home...the one time it broke at a drag strip was 75 miles away.
      Wow 100,000 miles that's some driving... I've had my truck on the road sense 2000 and have 31,000 mile.... Don't drive it as much as I first did but the most in a year was 5,000 miles from
      May to Oct... Last year including DW 2800 miles
      Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
      Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

Originally posted by Dino98T/A View Post
        I was talking about hating on guys that trailer to the starting point. I got the upmost respect for anyone that enters DragWeek, I don't care how you get there. I was referring to the gentleman calling the other a derogatory name just because he was going to haul his ride. No need for that in my opinion..
        I agree 100%.. that's what I was meaning
        Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
        Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
        Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
        Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

I have AAA but it's only 100 mile tow that's covered.

I'm sure I could fix it - with enough help from enough other folks and their equipment, but all that takes time, and I'm on the limit of my vacation as it is... even with the extra that I pay the company back for....

So - I have a stock diesel crew cab truck (I rebuilt the engine so it better last! DOH) that gets pretty good mileage towing at 65 with the air on and comfortable seats and a good stereo, seats four comfortably, and can pull two cars (the plan for this year) so we're saving a lot in fuel compared to any other scenario (driving two cars, or towing with two trucks and trailers). If one car breaks 900 miles from home - we just have to get back to Tulsa and we're self sufficient again.... it's worth the peace of mind to me.

I'm not Guido iron-man tough obviously!
          - and I salute you guys for your never die attitude!
          I know myself well enough that I'd be happier towing - so I do. If the start / end track was closer I'd drive the car... but not 900 miles.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
            I have AAA but it's only 100 mile tow that's covered.
            Given where I live, I have the 200 mile service! That get's you places. Like when my ignition coil died at 1am in a podunk town 90 miles from anywhere (aka a parts store) and 150 miles from home. Home it was!
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Last year I drove mine (with trailer in tow) 300+ miles to Bowling Green, then all week, tried braking it on Friday at Bowling Green, changed tires, loaded trailer up, and drove back home Friday night. That was a blast! All with no OD and about 3,000 rpm at 70mph.

This year the car will be more streetable with a double OD 6spd, but also more prone to breaking so I will most likely trailer it to Tulsa behind my Duramax. Mixed feelings on that one right now...
              '91 Trans Am GTA: 402ci LS2, faceplated T56, 9", and nitrous.
              2013 Drag Week SURVIVOR! - SR/SB/PA & 2014 Drag Week SURVIVOR! - SR/SB/NA

Comment

Working...
              X