Gaseer Wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaseer Wheel?

Just wondering if this rim would pass as a Gasser Wheel,if it were sand blasted and aged to look magnesium."oven spray"15x4,no center cap,,crome dust cover,,,,100 buck each,just on the front.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ohio Paul; January 16, 2014, 07:37 PM.

It should be close enough...... JMO

Comment

Sounds like it would look perfect after aging......lots of different wheels used back in the day.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

don't look vintage to the purists, but it wouldn't be the first...and would maybe be ok. You need to ask the guys at hot rod, though, we are not the rules enforcers.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Its hard to spend as much for a set of front wheels as I did for the COMPLETE front axle kit..that kit is sweet..800bucks

Comment

tell me about it. Last year I ran some incredibly heavy free wheels...1967ish Cragar GTs.

If I can't find some affordable aluminum wheels, I may use skinny chrome steelies, they repop some now that look right.
            Last edited by squirrel; January 16, 2014, 09:19 PM.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

I have no dog in the fight.

But I'd say the windows look bigger than anything I've seen from back then. So if it were just me, I'd have to say thumbs down, unless you could show me some photographic evidence.

That being said, I don't know if the DW Gasser/A/FX gatekeeping "committee" is just DF or some of the other thirty-somethings from the SIM Cube Hive or maybe some old guys that might actually know something.

(I suspect it's just some youngsters who are easily fooled and you'll be a-ok with anythng that's not a Weld, Supertrick, Centerline or other obviously "modern" wheel)

To be certain, though, you might ought to send some photos along with at least a couple of cases of that Mexican liquid diet crap DF and Finn apparently live on (Corona) to:

DRAG WEEK GASSER/A/FX AESTHETICS COMMITTEE
              C/O The ROADKILLERS: David Freiburger & Kid Finnegan
              HOT ROD MAGAZINE
              SOURCE INTERLINK MAGAZINES CUBE HIVE
              821 S. Douglas St.
              El Segundo, CA 90245
              Last edited by 38P; January 17, 2014, 04:00 AM.

Comment

I also note that prior to ~ 1962 (when Magnesium wheels really took off in hot rodding), Moon discs were very common on Gassers and other drag cars . . .

Theoretically, you could probably run any wheel you wanted under a screw-on Moon on the front. (But I don't believe you can run Moons on the back any more . . . I recall reading something about the tech cops needing to be able to see your wheel studs at all times . . . )

Comment

Moon discs? on drag cars? not so much.

The windows are way too big, but they do kinda match the modern rear wheels that a couple guys ran last year, and got away with. While I had the extra heavy chrome slots out back, which are extra heavy, and quite period correct.

The proper thing to do is spend the billion dollars on some nice old Halibrands
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

[QUOTE=The Outsider;843255]I have no dog in the fight.

"But I'd say the windows look bigger than anything I've seen from back then. So if it were just me, I'd have to say thumbs down, unless you could show me some photographic evidence."

Looks kinda like the Jegs wheel..you can tell it was the 60s ,,the stands are full
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Ohio Paul; January 17, 2014, 10:25 AM.

Comment

the one in the old picture is more like this

Free Shipping - American Racing VNA69 Ansen Sprint Polished Wheels with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Wheels at Summit Racing.

although finding them narrow can be "fun".
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

Some photos and 8mm movies that I took in the late 60s at US 131 Dragway in Martin, MI.
                        Attached Files

Comment

This would be a decent wheel to run....if you want it to look right. And you can buy them new again!

Free Shipping - American Racing VN309 Torq-Thrust Original Vintage Silver Painted Wheels with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Wheels at Summit Racing.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            Moon discs? on drag cars? not so much.
                            Dude, do you like EVER read any of the actual literature from that era? Before "mag" wheels took over, the literature is literally packed with drag cars sporting Moons.
                            Last edited by 38P; January 17, 2014, 10:35 AM.

Comment

no, I've never picked up a magazine from the 60s...since this morning.

You also claim that turbos were on every car, etc. I think sometimes that maybe you're full of crap.
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                              X