Clarification of the small block / big block 430" rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification of the small block / big block 430" rule

Just to make sure I understand, a 431" small block is legal but falls under the big block classification.

Correct
    78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Comment

The good news is that you won't be P&G'd if you win a big block class.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Just to make sure, if you have a 352, 360, 390, 406 or 410 FE, you get hosed into the "Big Block" classes, regardless of what the P&G test says . . . .
        Last edited by 38P; January 14, 2014, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Not in Gasser class, John
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            Not in Gasser class, John
            True . . . They just get hosed by guys with 500-cube "porcupines" when similar canted-valve BBFs are verboten . . . .

Comment

Hey, all you need to do is build an era correct OHC mid 60s Ford motor. They dominated the match races, didn't they?

(can I help it if you can't afford one?)
              My fabulous web page

Comment

Its irrelevant in the modified class, we take all sizes
                Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
                Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
                Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
                Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  Hey, all you need is an enormously giant box of money to fall from the sky so you could build an era-correct SOHC mid-60s Ford motor. They dominated the match races, didn't they?

(Can I help if everyone would then complain about your "unfair" advantage and brag how their junkyard school bus "Rat" was cheaper than dirt and nearly as quick?)
                  I Feexed it!

My point about how unfairly HRM treats FEs is obviously NOT REALLY APPLICABLE TO ANY CLASS THAT ISN'T DIVIDED BETWEEN "BIG BLOCKS" AND "SMALL BLOCKS!"

Besides, it was all in fun anyhow.

HRM sets whatever rules make it out of DF's Corona-filled synapses, and they'll sell out the field regardless of whatever "the great one" decides.

And I simply cannot consider (READ: afford) abandoning my current DW project to build my barely-old-enough-for-DW-but-not-old-enough-for-the-purist-gatekeepers-at H.A.M.B. Falcon into a gasser/A/FX . . . . So it's all academic.
                  Last edited by 38P; January 14, 2014, 05:02 PM.

Comment

yeah, my comment was all in fun too. If you're going to take class racing seriously, and take FE engines seriously, you have bigger problems!
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

And I simply cannot consider (READ: afford) abandoning my current DW project to build my barely-old-enough-for-DW-but-not-old-enough-for-the-purist-gatekeepers-at H.A.M.B. Falcon into a gasser/A/FX . . . . So it's all academic.[/QUOTE]

I was trying to be good today but, F*** HAMB purist.

Comment

Originally posted by 62Duece View Post

Originally posted by Speedy
                        And I simply cannot consider (READ: afford) abandoning my current DW project to build my barely-old-enough-for-DW-but-not-old-enough-for-the-purist-gatekeepers-at H.A.M.B. Falcon into a gasser/A/FX . . . . So it's all academic.

I was trying to be good today but, F*** HAMB purist.
                        Purist? They'd have to be well over 70+ years old to be a "Purist".... these are kids. That's a "Lifestyle" like the midlife Harley dentists that smell of new leather and bengay. You want pure? Take away the Tig and the Plasma and the Mig and Harbor Freight. I don't mind hearing "Traditional" from a 75 year old guy calling me a smartass punk, but from a 35 year old balding greasy hair rolled up jeans and thug boots?

ooops. I was trying to be good today too.

Damn, I figured out how to quote in a quote! YAY!
                        Last edited by Beagle; January 15, 2014, 02:46 PM.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          Purist? They'd have to be well over 70+ years old to be a "Purist".... these are kids. That's a "Lifestyle" like the midlife Harley dentists that smell of new leather and bengay. You want pure? Take away the Tig and the Plasma and the Mig and Harbor Freight. I don't mind hearing "Traditional" from a 75 year old guy calling me a smartass punk, but from a 35 year old balding greasy hair rolled up jeans and thug boots?

ooops. I was trying to be good today too.

Damn, I figured out how to quote in a quote! YAY!
                          Of course the hoodlums on the 405 "list" would consider a fat, balding, old suburban guy who wears a suit and tie everyday and whips a "storebought" Coyote on the daily commute essentially the same as a "midlife Harley dentist" . . . . So I can't cast too many stones at whippersnappers who act like "gatekeeping" neo-purists.

On the other hand, why would I beat myself up with an "axle" car if I couldn't "show off" at every "traditional" meeting within driving distance, including H.A.M.B.'s annual shindig at Mokan?

Building a car for essentially a single event just doesn't seem like a good investment of time and money. (I wish I had that little epiphany about $20,000.00 ago . . . . )

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
                            Of course the hoodlums on the 405 "list" would consider a fat, balding, old suburban guy who wears a suit and tie everyday and whips a "storebought" Coyote on the daily commute essentially the same as a "midlife Harley dentist" . . . . So I can't cast too many stones at whippersnappers who act like "gatekeeping" neo-purists.

On the other hand, why would I beat myself up with an "axle" car if I couldn't "show off" at every "traditional" meeting within driving distance, including H.A.M.B.'s annual shindig at Mokan?

Building a car for essentially a single event just doesn't seem like a good investment of time and money. (I wish I had that little epiphany about $20,000.00 ago . . . . )
                            You can drop 20k on an FE !!
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

$20k? wow, fords are expensive
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                              X