No announcement yet.

Siverbarge.jr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It certed by NHRA so I was good. Main hoops may be laid back up to 30* and this one is 28*. It was the only way to get proper helmet clearance and get the right location for the cross bar/harness bar. It was orginally planed to have the front section and the cross bar be removable which was fine for 11:50 down to 10:00. (it was 11:50 for convertibles when I built the cage in '05 now the rule is 11:00 IIRC) Other photo shows removable parts before they were powder coated.

However when I needed to get a chassis cert to run into the nines the NHRA tech committee wouldn't sign off on my upper halo attachment nor my cross bar despite having Certified Enginer calcs that showed it was three times stronger than a simple welded joint. So I had to weld it up to get the cert. I cahnged the cross abr at that time (see picture)

The door bars weren't an issue nor was the lower angled "rocker" bar. He would have preferred a full 1 5/8"s tube on the main hoop support but didn't hold be up over it. On swing out door bars the larger .5" bolt set up with .375" flanges on the clevices do require backing plates which makes entry/exit much easier. We would just remove the door bars for the drives. The window net goes with the driver's side door bar.

Fun stuff but t took two of us five full days to design, bend up and weld in. And another day to do the cert changes.
    Attached Files
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Thanks for the info Bill!
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
      X