No announcement yet.

Unoffiicial Drag Week FAQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used a trailer for one reason, to protect the 7 years of work it took to build it. I could have put everything I had in my trailer in my trunk and back seat, but did not , due to damaging the 1/4s from the inside. in fact, my u-haul was pretty much empty, and served as a changing room at the track.
    I love how some people say what they would do , or how the rules are .......But most likely will not ever even participate .
    Reading , Pa
    Good Guys rodders rep.
    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto View Post
      I used a trailer for one reason, to protect the 7 years of work it took to build it. I could have put everything I had in my trailer in my trunk and back seat, but did not , due to damaging the 1/4s from the inside. in fact, my u-haul was pretty much empty, and served as a changing room at the track.
      I love how some people say what they would do , or how the rules are .......But most likely will not ever even participate .
      I wont be going this year but I agree with you... why try to stuff all the
      junk in the car and MAYBE bust up the car packing... its easy enough
      to scratch it as it is ... I dont have any trunk or a bed(the so called bed
      on my little truck isnt there)... here are a couple of vids just to show how
      small of a space I'm playing with

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto View Post
        . ...I could have put everything I had in my trailer in my trunk and back seat, but did not , due to damaging the 1/4s from the inside...
        I can relate to that. When I was young and foolish (as opposed to my current state of old and foolish) I drove my 67 442 around with something banging around in the trunk, and learned the hard way about quarter panel dents from the inside. Now the 442 has a layer of 2" expanded polystyrene insulation packed against each quarter panel inside the trunk, just in case. I had the trunk jammed with stuff when I went on Power Tour, and never worried about the quarters.

Comment

Joel - that's a fantastic idea to protect the quarters from the inside!

Hauling a trailer could be positive or negative:

Positive:
          allows you to bring more stuff, or - put less stuff in the car - which reduces fatigue and chance of damaging the car as mentioned
          (let's not forget some cars on DW are of show winning quality and one can understand wanting to protect a nice paint job)
          allows for quicker "race ready" set up at the track, no more unload, reload, etc.
          Some vehicles just don't have space to haul a second set of wheels and tires, and not everyone is willing to use a spare trunk lid to bolt the wheels to....

Negative:
          requires fabrication / installation of a trailer hitch
          it's another set of bearings, tires, and lights that could fail
          If weighted wrong it could get out of control on the road
          at the end of a long day you could forget it's back there when backing up and do some damage
          it's harder to trailer a car and a small trailer on a car trailer.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
            Joel - that's a fantastic idea to protect the quarters from the inside!

Hauling a trailer could be positive or negative:

Positive:
            allows you to bring more stuff, or - put less stuff in the car - which reduces fatigue and chance of damaging the car as mentioned
            (let's not forget some cars on DW are of show winning quality and one can understand wanting to protect a nice paint job)
            allows for quicker "race ready" set up at the track, no more unload, reload, etc.
            Some vehicles just don't have space to haul a second set of wheels and tires, and not everyone is willing to use a spare trunk lid to bolt the wheels to....

Negative:
            requires fabrication / installation of a trailer hitch
            it's another set of bearings, tires, and lights that could fail
            If weighted wrong it could get out of control on the road
            at the end of a long day you could forget it's back there when backing up and do some damage
            it's harder to trailer a car and a small trailer on a car trailer.
            If you look at my last post here you can see what I had to deal with(I put
            up a couple of vids) and when I built the trailer for it I HAD to build it a certain
            size to fit in the trailer... I made it the length I did so I can stand it up in the
            trailer with 1/2" of clearance... the height is set to the height of 2 rear tires
            stacked with a 1/2" of clearance(if I wanted to change tires)... and if you
            look at the vids you can see the area that I have to play with... I also liked
            the idea of just dropping the trailer in a minute and be ready to run.. but more
            important to me is I could be ready to leave in short order... when I was running
            with Dale(quick52) we would load the bed and that took about 1/2 hour with both
            of us loading... I'm gonna add one more thing that Dale suggested.. putting a mount
            on the rear corner for a umbrella to get out of the sun

Comment

Working...
            X