Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What took you out of Drag Week '13 (or almost did)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What took you out of Drag Week '13 (or almost did)?

When I look through the final results of Drag Week 2013, I have to admit, it provides far more questions than answers! For instance, I was shocked Joe Barry and Eric Yost didn't finish. Equally puzzling were some of the entries that never really got rolling, like Rat infested's N20 'Vette, and Keith Lopez's Wagon, or the Studebaker Gasser?
    Help fill in the blanks guy's, if you don't mind.

We went 2 for 5. Rachael's 727 welded the direct clutch pack together on Day 1, Dale lost the glide/converter on Day 3 in the Gremlin, and Darren killed a piston on day 4.

With 230 cars this year, it seemed really hard to touch base with everyone, and keep track of how the trip went for so many.

truck was fine.......billfold and heavy eyelids tried to cash us in.
    Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

We packed it in after only 15 miles. The oil pressure gauge just kept slowly going down.
      Drag Week 2009 winner BB/NA
      Drag Week 2010 second BB/NA
      Drag week 2011 Winner Modified/NA
      Drag week 2012 Winner SS BB/NA

Comment

started with heat, not enough air hitting the radiator. then a fuel pump went out ,then a tire got cut ,then another fuel pump went out ,then the flexplate lost too many teeth then the front main started leaking ,,the final blow was when a roller lifter started eating the cam...the car only had a few hundred miles and only 1 decent pass on it.wish id had more time ..

Comment

Dont know what happened to Barry, i am pretty sure Yost burnt a hole in a piston. We had a pretty smooth week, the rain Thursday tried to kill us though.
          -Jeff
          Street car with a 5 speed, 427ci SBF 9.86 at 136mph
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GKQ2xpZraU
          I survived Drag Week 2013

Comment

Keith Lopez had trans problems. They had just had it freshened the second time and it smoked after 3 or 4 runs. They fixed it friday and were able to make a few hits. One of the guys that were in the motorhome fixed it and found the boost valve in the valve body that was stuck! It ran a 8.17 @ 170+

Comment

2 broken a arms...at different times. Killed a battery and an alternator. Jesel front seal leaking terrible. Improvise overcome adapt and SURVIVE. Was easier than last year LOL

Comment

I started having clutch concerns after wed drive into town. Went my best pass at Memphis, 10.21@138. Still had some concerns at Bowling Green. Made my hit and sure enough the clutch slipped after the 1-2 shift! Still went 10.75. I Made It!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Maschmeier View Post
                  2 broken a arms...at different times. Killed a battery and an alternator. Jesel front seal leaking terrible. Improvise overcome adapt and SURVIVE. Was easier than last year LOL
                  Is that were all the oil came from or a crack in the oil pan?

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Maschmeier View Post
                    Your car is a beast! It has the most down to business look of the whole DW fleet IMO.

I started day one with a bad alternator but I knew that when we stuck it in the trailer(it went out Saturday morning on the way get gas). Then a dead coil, large chunk of front tire came out, windshield wipers got a hold of some under dash wiring, and then the windshield wipers died a mechanical death. The dragstrip part was smooth sailing though, all I did was change some accelerator pump stuff.
                    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

The carb got too hot and put me on the side of the road once and made driving over 195 on the temp gage a little rough. Other than that, a blown fuse on the fan made the engine overheat- easy fix. Had a front ladder bar bolt try to leave while doing 70 on the interstate next to an 18 wheeler (FUN!) Otherwise, have a couple of oil leaks now that I did not on Sunday. Overall, a pretty smooth ride. And even though the Mickey Thompsons did not like the rain (which way is forward?), I will probably not change tires next time, just run em'. (Yep, just like John told me in the first place.)
                      Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

I gave up Friday before the scheduled drive to BG on Saturday.

Trans wouldn't shift, hadn't gotten the car aligned yet. Zero road miles, zero track passes.

Son having a hard time recovering from having his tonsils out, and a bunch of other "life" stuff got in the way.

I'm glad I took the week off anyway - and made the trip to Indy to say hello to a few of you and see some runs on one of the greatest drag strips in the world.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckett View Post
                          Keith Lopez had trans problems. They had just had it freshened the second time and it smoked after 3 or 4 runs. They fixed it friday and were able to make a few hits. One of the guys that were in the motorhome fixed it and found the boost valve in the valve body that was stuck! It ran a 8.17 @ 170+

He was Lucky, Jack Schorr and his Brothers where checking off a Bucket list Item. Jack bleeds Ford Blue and was one of the Early Pro Stock Drivers of a Pinto and Mustang II, you might have heard of his Son David with his NMCA Wins and Championships. http://larsonracecars.net/david-schorr/ No one knows more about a Ford Trans than Jack does.
                          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Mine: No will to take it or finish it. Till Wed Morning when I knew I had messed up.

Never go to the Whore House without your Wallet.
                            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Trans problems took me out... at Indy, I went 9.94 without high gear (drove and towed the trailer alright, go figure).. at Gateway, it wouldn't shift at all under WOT. At first I thought it was simply the clutches being burnt, but while I was limping it back to the hotel, I noticed while it was slipping pretty badly, the trans temp stayed around 120 degrees... then I clicked it into neutral, and it jumped up to 250 - thinking the pump was weak and finally let go entirely.. I haven't pulled it out yet, so I can't say for sure. Sucks, because I was leading the class up to that point. I'm working on the novel that was my first DW experience, and I should have it posted in a couple of days for those interested..
                              DW2013 - DNF (Gateway - trans failure)
                              DW2014 - SR BB/PA class winner!
                              DW2015 - Finished in 1 piece (for once!)
                              DW2016 - Still "Fox Free" ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X