No announcement yet.

The unofficial "i hate summit racing" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the first rule of Hot Rodding is nothing ever fits right out of the box. That's why it's so much fun, right?
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by Orange65 View Post
      I spent enough last year with Summit to support a small African nation. I had no problems with them at all. This week I placed an order with Summit and then the next day with Jegs. They both were supposed to be delivered today (and would have had Fed Ex not screwed up on the Summit order). I expected Summit to beat Jegs on delivery but it did not. AND if I had noticed that Jegs has free shipping on EVERYTHING (and no handling fees), I would have ordered from them rather than Summit which requires you to spend $100 to get it. Sucks to have to spend another $10 on any order just for handling..
      If you ask summit - they will match the Jegs shipping offer - I have gotten SEVERAL small orders shipped completely free over the last few months.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
        double break out... I still owe Russel a five. I'm going broke on this site!
        You do? ........ Oh yeah you do! ....... What was it for again? Sporting and forgetful!
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

I have over the years ordered tons from Summit. Summit was the first place I would order. In the last couple of years I have received previously opened items some damaged. Today was another bad experience. I got in a headlight, maker light set tonight. The box was beat up and had been opened before. Yep at least two marker lights broken. Will return and go elsewhere.
          See all Sat. Tom

Comment

Sitrep

Mrs. Outsider went to four different industrial fastener suppliers before she found a pair of 10.9 Grade metric bolts that would fit the wrong Steeda 2005-10 3rd arm bracket that Summit said was correct.

Other than the front bolt, the bracket seems to fit. The geometry is significantly different from the stock arm/bracket.

Bolting on the bracket tonight, one of the rear bolts jammed about 7/8ths of the way in. The first part of the thread-in had been easy. But at 7/8s in, it stopped . . .

It wouldn't move either way. . . even with a cheater bar . . . even with an impact gun (albeit on the weak back-up compressor . . . because "Plan A" is still clogging the shop where the big 220-volt compressor is . . . And the back-up compressor is a small, portable, worn-out, patched together unit that maxes out at only 60 psi . . .It's ok for airing up tires, but just won't cut it any more for powering air tools . . . And I couldn't drive the car back to the shop with the axle loose . . . What a mess!)

Panic time!

I soaked the area in WD-40, threw up a desparation prayer worthy of Job, and then somehow pounded it loose. Retapped the hole (Just happened to have the correct metric tap). . . and the bolt went back in with only slightly higher-than-expected resistance. A close call, for sure.

Hopefully, I can set the pinion angle, doublecheck the torques, and load-up tomorrow.

Reinstalling the ZEX kit will have to wait until the BG campground . . . . (Last year, the N20 kit wasn't fully on the car until 4:00 a.m. DW Monday . . . .)

I think I'll run a nice pair of JEGS decals this year . . . . (Summit decals are small and chincy anyway)

Comment

Working...
            X