X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The unofficial "i hate summit racing" thread

Yes, BBR . . . more "drama" . . . .

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
    So now, it's after Labor Day and I've got a flat wallet and two non-running cars.

The rear suspension of "Plan B" is disassembled . . . stopped cold by a weird OEM third-arm bracket bolt that won't come close to fitting the Steeda "Competition" Upper Adjustable Trailing Arm mount (surprisingly the selection of grade Metric hardware at Lowe's on a national holiday is somewhat deficient) . . . .
    As it turns out, Summit Racing, not Steeda is apparently at fault here. Summit says Part Number 555-4109 fits 2005-2012 Mustang GTs. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sd...ns/submodel/gt

(Yes, Virginia, that part number sounds like a fake Hollywood telephone number)

But today, Steeda's tech advisor says "Nyet, Nyet" . . . 555-4109 only fits 2005s-2010s. 2012s require a combination of 555-4112 and 555-4027. (And thanks Ford for reinventing the wheel again)

This is not the first time an error in Summit's on-line catalog has bit this summer . . . .

(Recall that using a 460 in the now-failed "Plan A" was substantially based on Summit's erroneous claim that FRPP 460 motor mounts would bolt-on to an '87-'88 Thunderbird K-member . . . which they most certainly won't . . . resulting in a big "time suck" to obtain, modify, and replace the K-member . . . . )

Word to the wise: Look up anything you're buying from Summit Racing on the manufacturer's website/catalog first . . . because the CRAP Summit publishes simply cannot be trusted.

Can I resolve this mess in only three days, or will the Wheel-hop Special (featuring the rubbery factory third link) rebound into BG?

(All those clueless mopes who claim "tuning" modern muscle is "plug and play" . . . I'd like a word with you . . . .)

DW2014 is shaping up to be a barn burner.
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Ouch! Kick to the "gentleman's area" . . . .

I wonder if I can fix this problem with some aluminum cans and J.B. Weld . . . .

Comment

I wonder if I can fix this problem with some aluminum cans and J.B. Weld . . . .
        If repairing something always use the "right stuff" lol.

See you there in whatever you bring..
        Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
        Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
        Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
        Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

Word to the wise: Look up anything you're buying from Summit Racing on the manufacturer's website/catalog first . . . because the CRAP Summit publishes simply cannot be trusted.
          You're kind of old to be learning this lesson just now, aren't you?

Hopefully you'll get it together....you still have two days of overnight delivery available.

I wonder if I can find a rebuilt 6-71 between now and tomorrow?
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

My go to on the late model stang suspension stuff is BMR I buy direct and always talk to Kelly, he is the man. Is the car lowered? If not I think you may be able to just use the lower LCA mount (witch are easier as you dont have to take out back seat or drop back of gas tank)

Your car is a stick, right? If so it will be very hard to hook well if you run drag radial.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Anderson View Post
              My go to on the late model stang suspension stuff is BMR I buy direct and always talk to Kelly, he is the man. Is the car lowered? If not I think you may be able to just use the lower LCA mount (witch are easier as you dont have to take out back seat or drop back of gas tank)

Your car is a stick, right? If so it will be very hard to hook well if you run drag radial.
              BMR relocation brackets and lower arms already installed. (I'm a little concerned about how low the BMR brackets stick down, though)

Also running the Rough Country Jeep TJ front sway bar disconnects (basically wore out the stock links bolting and unbolting them last year . . . sounded like they had 100,000 miles on them from all the clanking)

Car is stock height (actually slightly raised and preloaded on the right by the Air Lift Drag Bags, depending on air pressure) Car has the Chinese 6-speed MT, so drag radials are basically useless . . . don't have any wheels with the correct offset for 15" slicks . . . .

A test hit after installing the BMR stuff (before the Steeda teardown) on ordinary, untreated blacktop seemed to result in less wheel spin and more nose lift with factory tires. No testing with last year's drag radials.

I'm concerned that the pinion angle might be a problem without the adjustable third link.

Note: 2012 has plastic split tanks, so they're not in the way of removing the upper mount.

Comment

You may have wheels that fit and not know it, I used the 15x10 6 1/2 backset wheels from my 86 thunderbird and with a little grinding of the sway bar mount and 1/4 spacer fit my 05 Mustang. They did stick out and these wheels are bogarts but would think you may be able to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                  DW2014 is shaping up to be a barn burner.

ouch indeed. I felt that down here!
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

You have to do your own research before ordering parts from any place...
                    they just just read data from either a web site or what they have on screen...
                    but a lathe would have fixed you right up

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      ouch indeed. I felt that down here!
                      The good thing about 2014 is I have a whole year to save up that fiver that I'm probably going to owe you, Beags, after our epic match race.

(And I'll have time to solve my lawn mowing problems)

"Keep your stick on the ice."

Comment

double break out... I still owe Russel a five. I'm going broke on this site!
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I say, just let it ride. Let's have a tournament in '14 for the five-spot! Surely Russel's a sporting man . . . .

Last edited by 38P; September 4, 2013, 07:20 AM.

Comment

I spent enough last year with Summit to support a small African nation. I had no problems with them at all. This week I placed an order with Summit and then the next day with Jegs. They both were supposed to be delivered today (and would have had Fed Ex not screwed up on the Summit order). I expected Summit to beat Jegs on delivery but it did not. AND if I had noticed that Jegs has free shipping on EVERYTHING (and no handling fees), I would have ordered from them rather than Summit which requires you to spend $100 to get it. Sucks to have to spend another $10 on any order just for handling..
                            Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Summit is close to wear I work, so I never have issue with shipping.
                              Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X