No announcement yet.

Why Do Some Take New Production Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe at some point they will have to limit the number of DD entries? Or, have a limit for each class? Who knows.

I think the fact that they may have to cut it off because " too many people want to go " is a good sign for the hobby as a whole.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

X2 on the sell out being a good sign for the hobby and the economy. I kinda did a worse one a few years back in '07. That year Brian Rock came out as my co-pilot and Jay Cermak who transported our cars back and forth to Cali was going to join us that year driving his genuine 67 Shelby GT 500. Well like a lot of us he didn't get it done in time and after Jay came out and picked up the cars Brian and I flew to Chicago and rented a Shelby/Hertz GT 350 which we drove to Cordova for the start of the vent. Jay entered the new Shelby instead and made the whole trip. I htink between us we put 60 laps on that thing and had a ball. It was too slow to make the DD but it was fun. That was also the origin of the no rental car rule.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Was this year the first time they have really used social media to announce the opening of registration? I do not recall seeing it on FB last year in Jan/Feb/Mar. Later in the year I know they posted info on HR's FB page and of course all during the event, but I don't remember any early on.
        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

i dont want anyone to think i was bashing the DD class..hell the winner was alot faster than the gasser class...

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
            i dont want anyone to think i was bashing the DD class..hell the winner was alot faster than the gasser class...
            I didn't take it that way - it just seems to be a target and it's my time of the month. No worries from me, I'm going out in the garage to tear unecessary shit out of the DD, FTW! This creature comfort thing is over rated. Any guesses what a Lincoln A/C weighs? Wait'll you get ahold of "full interior"...
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

New cars are not immune to breaking when beat on, as we've seen in years past...Can't wait to see KSJ toss a half-shaft out of that challenger....

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post

At some point they may call it and then add by "Saves"

DF would be Paula in this style save. Turk could be Simon.
                Never Really watched "idol", but I don't appreciate the mental image you just stuck in my head, Jeff!

Comment

Originally posted by MoparBilly View Post
                  New cars are not immune to breaking when beat on, as we've seen in years past...Can't wait to see KSJ toss a half-shaft out of that challenger....
                  Not worried.Service Mgr told me so.(Friend for 30 years)Better half said I have to get the house painted and other Honey Dos so the motor rebuild of the RoadRunner is on hold.Unless.............Lottery.100 shot and I might make the DD cutoff in the Challenger.

Comment

i'll beat the shit out of whatever I take.

Comment

Ah yes the Spirit of Drag Week.
                      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Thanks Bill. How the hell did my name come up??LOL. MoparBilly must still be upset that my buddy"ProStock" Bob Weakland trailerd him at the Div 5 race at Great Bend years ago.LOL.Dayum!!151 days.Billy bet get the clan to work.Hes been working. His brothers not so much.LOL.

Comment

i was actually amazed at how few late model stockers there were last year.i dont think the event is even close to overran with slower cars.probly half of dd cars are runnin low 12s or faster(that is still fast FYI).i hate to even think about any type of restrictions on registration.the 200 count is as far as that needs to go.IMO
                          63 Plymouth DW 2011 Quickest Mopar 11.38@119 Daily Driver

Comment

Another thing to think about is latemodel cars that will be modded in the future, in 08 I brought my 05 Mustang with a cold air kit and box tune, 09 ran the same car but with a blower, 2012 evan more built. With the price of Muscle cars thru the roof it costs the same or less to start with a newer car that does not need a resto.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
                              Yep! That was Geoff Zeller from Wakarusa. Geoff blew up the ring gear in his 12-bolt during Sunday's test 'n tune, so he borrowed his wife's Toyota Corolla and away they went... only to blow up a $900 fuel pump in Tulsa. It just wasn't Geoff's week, but he will be the first to tell you he had a blast and is looking forward to taking the Monte on Drag Week 2012.

Ron
                              Yea, my Buddy Tom got in front of him on sunday telling hime he didn't want to be behind him when he oiled down the track.. Little did he know he was actually gonna break!!

Hes (Geoff) a hoot to talk with!! glad hes goin again this year!

c-ya in Tulsa!!
                              Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
                              Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
                              Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
                              Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

While we spent what time we had at DW 11 under the hood or under the car or under surviellance (we got a warning from a cool Sheriff outside Dodge City for going 80 in 55 pulling the trailer with the car on it trying to catch the DW circus) I didn't see a lot of late model stuff anf I don't think DF or Hot Rod cares as long as they find new cool cars to feature on the cover and in the magazine.

A quick look at the cars they've written about or shown in the photos they've selected is the clearest guide to what they are thinking.

DW has become one of the most participant driven publisher sponsored events I've seen especially given the small size. I'm glad they've stuck with exploring the idea of what constitutes a "fast" street car.

The registration limit reflects the logistical challenges. I'd be surprised if they added any kind of car type restriction as the balance is self adjusting as people see greater or lesser opportuntites in the different classes.

Comment

Working...
                                X