Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has the best Turbo 400 to put behind 1400 HP N2O BBF in 3800# car w/GV added on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has the best Turbo 400 to put behind 1400 HP N2O BBF in 3800# car w/GV added on?

As you can tell from the title I'm looking at a new class this year for DW, Street Race BB/PA as the new for last year TrickFlow/Wilson manifold is setup with a progressive wet fogger. I have jets from 150-500.

I posted this here as this is group that has real world knowledge of what we do.

The Lentech AOD I have been runing has been bullet proof but it won't go beyond 1200 HP and 1000 ft/lbs. I'm at 1,000 HP and 800 Ft/lbs now N/A. so any real quantity of spray makes fragging the AOD highly likely.

So I need to look at Turbo 400's with a Gear Vendors as there do not seem to be rationally priced C6's with solid track records.

I think it may want to be 2.10 low gear deal, but with the 3.50 rear gear the calculator says I'll want with a 30" tall tire maybe a stock gear set is OK?

The other logical idea is a 4l80e, but I didn't have a sense of the size, HP/tq. capacity and I have some under car space limitations. I'm guessing a T400 w GV and 4L80e might be a push? Either way I have to run a SuperBell and a blanket again due to space limitations keeping the stock trans tunnel.

Ideas and recommendations oh wise ones?
    Last edited by CDMBill; March 23, 2012, 09:51 AM.
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Call Rossler- I believe that is the transmission of choice of a lot of guys running more HP.

Th400, Trubo 400, 4l80e, 4l80e trans brake, 4l60e, 4l60e trans brake, direct port, valve body, 4L60E Transbrake,www.4l60etransbrake.com,4l60etransbrake.com,turbo glide, powerglide, th210, th400, th350, Door wars, Doorwars, door wars, Chevy, Camaro,Chevy camaro, 4l80e, 4l80e transbrake, www.4l80etransbrake.com,Todd Tutterow, golobo, performance transmissions, transmissions, the little black box, drag radial, Tim Lynch, Mustang, Mustang mike, 2 speed turbo glide xhd, 3 speed th210 xhd th400, th400 transmisisons
    Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

I would look to a Neal Chance glide/ Converter and a GV Bill. Bill this gives you 3 gears at the track and a over drive for the road without all the baggage of the rest. Small package light weight. You could use the EFI to hit the High side of low for you and even low high too.

PRO SERIES GLIDE $4850.00
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Rossler
        http://www.rosslertrans.com/
        D R A G - W E E K - '05 - '06 - '07 - '08 - '09 - '10 - '11 - '12 - '13 - '14 - '15 - '16 - '17

Comment

4L80E is BIG and torque converter selection sucks. I was $7,000.00 deep when I bailed on that idea. Great concept, but steep development slope. I see no advantage of a 400 over a glide if you are going to run a gear vendors. You can punish a glide and it is lighter as well.
          HOTROD Dragweek Pro Street N/A winner 2007,2011, 2012/ 2nd, 2009
          HOTROD Dragweek quickest and fastest naturally aspirated car in any class 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012
          FIRST IN THE EIGHTS Legal Pro Street N/A HOTROD Drag Week 2012

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
            I would look to a Neal Chance glide/ Converter and a GV Bill. Bill this gives you 3 gears at the track and a over drive for the road without all the baggage of the rest. Small package light weight. You could use the EFI to hit the High side of low for you and even low high too.

PRO SERIES GLIDE $4850.00
            I was curious as to why Doc has stayed with a three speed and I know the big tire helps on the road. Does he have a GV?

2X on the Rossler, must be good stuff. Are these reomendations all T400 or 4l80e as well at Rossler?

Its the real world experience I'm trying to leverage.
            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

On the odd chance you want a C6, Frank Merkl is THE man when it comes to making killer C6's.

He says they work great in his 7 second Mustang.

Oh and you can just wrap up that AOD and send it to me if you need a place to store it.
              Last edited by BBR; March 23, 2012, 11:26 AM.
              Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
              1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
              1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
              1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
              1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
              1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                I was curious as to why Doc has stayed with a three speed and I know the big tire helps on the road. Does he have a GV?

2X on the Rossler, must be good stuff. Are these reomendations all T400 or 4l80e as well at Rossler?

Its the real world experience I'm trying to leverage.
                I used a Rossler 4L80E, Blew it up only once and Carl stood behind it for the repairs.
                Don Williams does my TH400 with lots of good aluminum internals, He is local.
                After 3 different torque converter attempts I could not get the car to 60 foot at all with the 4L80E.
                If I ever go with a different transmission program I am convinced a powerglide with a gear vendor would be perfect.
                No I do not have a gear vendor, (kept my hopes up to win one but no luck).
                Last edited by whichdoctor; March 23, 2012, 11:51 AM.
                HOTROD Dragweek Pro Street N/A winner 2007,2011, 2012/ 2nd, 2009
                HOTROD Dragweek quickest and fastest naturally aspirated car in any class 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012
                FIRST IN THE EIGHTS Legal Pro Street N/A HOTROD Drag Week 2012

Comment

Originally posted by whichdoctor View Post
                  4L80E is BIG and torque converter selection sucks. I was $7,000.00 deep when I bailed on that idea. Great concept, but steep development slope. I see no advantage of a 400 over a glide if you are going to run a gear vendors. You can punish a glide and it is lighter as well.
                  Thanks Doc, the messages crossed. Do you have a GV? I couldn't remember.

The Glide with GV wasn't my first consideration, but as I can play with rear gear too, the 1st gear split and then the OD as Jeff suggest is a pretty cool idea. Not adding a 100# is also a nice thought.

I've seen a number of low teens power N2O cars have issues with their T400's so that is a consideration too.

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                    On the odd chance you want a C6, Frank Merkl is THE man when it comes to making killer C6's.

He says they work great in his 7 second Mustang.

Oh and you can just wrap up that AOD and send it to me if you need a place to store it.
                    Thanks James. Interesting stuff. Sorry but the AOD will go into the Gasser Fairlane if we get that done for DW which I doubt highly for this year, but it looks better than maybe for next. Has to be an SBf with a Carburator (ack) since I can't run the BBF.

Comment

Bill we dont use a GV in either car, I had one but with a T400 it is just to much so I sold it. The drive shaft gets to short, to much weight and frankly the wrong gear ratios for what we do.

Both cars will if we change have GV and Glides with good cases and bellhousings ( read this as no sheilds or Blankets needed) Bill this is the way we roll......... LOL
                      Last edited by JeffMcKC; March 23, 2012, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Rossler is the man...
                        sigpic

!!Check out my facebook race page!!!

Comment

At his weight (the car!) wouldn't the extra gear be more beneficial? The PG relies on the torque converter to make up for that lack of gear doesn't it?
                          JeffMcKC, wouldn't a short driveshaft create less rotating mass? What would be the issue(s)? As for myself I have both a "shorty" PG
                          and a "shorty" TH400 plus GV and run a near stock length driveshaft. Thanks.

Comment

I am using Lonnie at Extreme automatics.....He built me a spragless 400 for my heavy truck....if I am lucky I will make what you are hp wise. It should withstand the torque of my 555 BBC with a fogger. We will see. I want a GV...but its not in the buget right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Racingcritters View Post
                              At his weight (the car!) wouldn't the extra gear be more beneficial? The PG relies on the torque converter to make up for that lack of gear doesn't it?
                              JeffMcKC, wouldn't a short driveshaft create less rotating mass? What would be the issue(s)? As for myself I have both a "shorty" PG
                              and a "shorty" TH400 plus GV and run a near stock length driveshaft. Thanks.

The shorty glide is perfect! with the GV behind it thats what we will use

1 The glide with a gv gives you 3 speeds for the track. With better gear drops
                              2 The PG with out a GV provided 2nd the converter has to be dead on, but once again we are talking 3 speeds not 2
                              3 Rotating mass with a aluminum shaft is not much but short drive shaft on the end of a t400 and GV makes for higher working angles and that uses much more power up.
                              4 A shorty glide with the GV on is the same lenght as a T400
                              5. PC has less rotation inside using the power up.

People can use what they want, this is what we will use and why.

Comment

Working...
                              X