Rebuilding my 454 for drag week 2012.. Looking for suggestions and help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding my 454 for drag week 2012.. Looking for suggestions and help

hey guys. Just tearing into my motor again out of my 68 nova.

its a 454 block. 30 over so 461 i believe.

im looking at doing some aluminum heads, and maybe a bigger cam.. provided everything else is in order once we tear into the motor.

right now the cam is a .576 lift and .050 duration
    and the heads are cast iron. oval ports.

My best run on dw 2011 was 12.21 at 107mph on the motor. ( i plan on spraying a 150 shot nitrous next year as well)

What would be my best route to go to get the most bang for my buck.?? is buying a top end set up worth it? and how do i figure out what would work best with what i have now...

I have alot to learn yet so any input and help is really appreciated..
    Last edited by dougs67; April 17, 2012, 05:25 PM.
    Drag Week 2011: Finished with best pass of 12.21 at 107mph

It would help to know more about the car, pretty much everything there is to know...trans, stall, gear ratio, piston type, exhaust, intake, etc. Also how much money you have, so we can know how much to spend
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      It would help to know more about the car, pretty much everything there is to know...trans, stall, gear ratio, piston type, exhaust, intake, etc. Also how much money you have, so we can know how much to spend
      Its a t400 tranny with stage 2 shift kit, 3500 stall converter, 3:55 gears (12 bolt), edlebrock performer air gap intake, 750 holley carb, i think its 2 inch headers to 3 inch straight pipe back and over the rear axle and out to a 2 inch by the rear wheel. Speed pro hyperuectic pistons. supposedly 10 to 1 compression is what i was told from the guy that re did the engine. suspension is o.e. type. no modifications to that.

And its somewhat a budget build. i would like to stay around $3500 for the engine mods. I have plans of doing a bigger motor in a few years, just want something with a little more get up and go.
      Drag Week 2011: Finished with best pass of 12.21 at 107mph

Comment

I would look at a hydrolic roller cam and some heads on the small side for a big chevy, a friend of mine built a .060 over 454 with Edy performer RPM heads a rpm air gap and a 750 cfm holley 10:1 comp and made well over 500 hp at around 6,000 rpm, better yet the thing made it torque at like 3,500 on a stuska dyno.

Comment

I am in the process of turning a 454 into a 489. I bought a top end kit from Patriot Performance. They claim 550 HP with the kit I am using. Look here:

This website is for sale! patriot-performance.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, patriot-performance.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

The packages are designed for a 496, but should work fine on a stock stroke 454.
          Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

get some cal-tracs for the rearend...

Comment

Originally posted by dougs67 View Post
              hey guys. Just tearing into my motor again out of my 68 nova.

its a 454 block. 30 over so 461 i believe.

im going through everything on the motor myself this time around. had it at a shop in august right before dragweek last year and on the trip i was having constant overheating problems, burning/ leaking a quart of oil every 100 miles etc. the guy that did the work won't own up to his mistakes so i figure if i do it i can be the only one to blame this time around.

anyways.. im looking at doing some aluminum heads, and maybe a bigger cam.. provided everything else is in order once we tear into the motor.

right now the cam is a .576 lift and .050 duration
              and the heads are cast iron. oval ports.

My best run on dw 2011 was 12.21 at 107mph on the motor. ( i plan on spraying a 150 shot nitrous next year as well)

What would be my best route to go to get the most bang for my buck.?? is buying a top end set up worth it? and how do i figure out what would work best with what i have now...

I have alot to learn yet so any input and help is really appreciated..
              Heads and cam will help! You have a few options on heads.
              1. Work them over - larger valves & bowl work usually gain 40cfm on stock BBC heads (300cfm peak).
              2. Buy new - I would suggest a Brodix Race Rite Oval port head, just got a set in and they move some air! (350cfm peak out of box shape). This route also allows you to grow in the future (bigger motor) and lighten the front of your car at the same time. Not to mention dealing with an American made product!

I would also suggest going to a hydraulic roller due to better lobe designs and to help out with the typical BBC lifter layout issues. That would be a must for Drag Week IMO.

PM Sent
              Nick Smithberg
              www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

That sounds like good advise to me.

What's the consensus on the hypereutectic pistons with a small shot of nitrous? does it make anyone nervous?
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

What's the consensus on the hypereutectic pistons with a small shot of nitrous? does it make anyone nervous?
                  It can be done but I've seen both sides of it (good and bad). Whenever nitrous is used I ALWAYS recommend using a forged piston. With the cost involved in a motor why cheap out a few hundred extra bucks at that point?
                  Nick Smithberg
                  www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Put a small block in it!!!
                    Team Clueless
                    1st Place SB/NA DW12
                    2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                    sigpic

Comment

i personally wouldn't do it, first off nitrous is very addicting 150 turns to 225 real fast.. and so on...
                      i like the idea of buying the better heads to assist with future bigger build , its going to happen...
                      Dustin, in Cincinnati

Comment

X2 on the nervousness regarding spraying cast pistons.

While we're spending someone else's money a stroker kit might be a good investment along with the heads. Shouldn't take too much to get to 10.80's with a light car like that in DD with some displacement and spray.
                        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

The first order of business for me would be to find out the cause of the high oil consumption. Is it leaking or burning? Are the outside edges of the pistons washed clean from oil coming up past the rings? Are intake valves carboned from oil coming down guides? What is the piston to cylinder wall clearance? Like a house, you need a solid foundation to build power on.
                          Last edited by OldMachinist; January 16, 2012, 11:10 PM.

Comment

I would make sure I had cylinder seal first, ditch the heads as a way to lighten it and get rid of detonation too, up the compression to 11.5 and choose a good camshaft, from there is all about the hook and tune
                            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

You have the same engine as me except mine is in a 3rd gen z. I have the same pistons in mine. a set of 781 oval ports and the smallest solid roller comp makes. I run 11.80s all day on motor and 10.80 on a 175 shot. I would figgure out the oil issue and put god pistons in it if you have to replace them. A roller should net you a good 50 or more horse improvement.
                              Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Working...
                              X