Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Drag Week ran it's course for Hot Rod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Drag Week ran it's course for Hot Rod?

I got my latest edition of Hot Rod magazine with coverage of Drag Week and it seemed to be a little lacking to say the least. I hope their interest in this great event isn't waning. It has totally rejuvenated my interest in my '66 Galaxie and is the most fun car event I have ever participated in.

not even a little bit, lol. i didn't read their coverage, but don't worry, it's not something that's going away, lol.
    http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ps24d553b8.jpg
    Join The Militia

Comment

lots of people changes at the magazine lately...hard to say. We'll see what happens.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

They are in the business of writing articles that interest people in order to sell advertising. When Drag Week ceases to be an event that interests people, it will go away.

Seems pretty popular to us, but DW'ers are a niche market within the whole of Hot Rod's reader base.

They might just be spreading the DW content across several issues, but due to the time frames they deal with and the way information is shared these days, any event coverage is really just reporting "old" news.

My guess is when the Unlimited class becomes stagnant with no new sensational "firsts", they will can it.
        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

There's no secret that The Enthusiast Network (TEN) is a now a cross-platform content provider and not just a "legacy print" publishing company. So Drag Week's coverage is properly measured across multiple content channels, such as the live feed, webpage and Facebook coverage, video, and print.

Print is challenged by many factors, such as advertising and subscription revenues, production costs, budgets, and the immediacy of other information channels. These challenges are not unique to HRM or any other automotive title. Consumers have profoundly changed how they consume information and demographics continue to alter the business model of most print publications.

The print magazine has changed its DW coverage format nearly every year,, as DW has exploded and matured. This year's Fifty-plus quickest Drag Week competitors records for posterity the cars and drivers who hit the DW strips hard and fast. It's not a suggestion that TEN is losing interest. The event sells out and produces plenty of great story lines and content leads.

It is interesting that comments on HRM's Power Tour and DW coverage both tend to reinforce that many readers still want to see significant print coverage of these events, which ought to encourage legacy print writers and editors that the web hasn't totally killed off interest in more permanent forms of journalism.

As to whether Unlimited "stagnation" will affect DW interest, no one can really accurately predict where fastest street car racing is ultimately going to end up. There is already some pushback against the "pro mods." How far these "outlaws" can go before there's a backlash or a technical barrier is anyone's guess. But considering that the top cars are now pushing .9 lbs per horsepower and $200,000 or more, it's difficult to see a lot more "sensational 'firsts'" on the horizon. But then Roger Huntington once predicted 150 m.p.h. was the physical limit for wheel-driven dragsters . . . . Even if E.T.s level out, there's still plenty of drama in keeping a 5-second, 3,000+ horsepower rocket ship together for 1,000 miles.

Comment

I like to think that although unlimited is the crazy class, the real action happens in the "lesser classes" watching street race power adder for example shows some serious completion and some damn fast street cars that most wont argue aren't "real street cars".
            ​Everything under ultimate iron is getting faster and the win margins are getting tighter each year. I predict you'll see more coverage of the more attainable and street based stuff in the future. With guys like Frank Sapanaro, Rick Prospero, Matt Blasco, Glen Hunter and Mike Roy getting faster and gaining notoriety each year. Because as bad ass as Lutz and Bailey are in their Pro mod stuff, people like steel street cars.

Comment

We like stuff we can relate to, eh?
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
                There's no secret that The Enthusiast Network (TEN) is a now a cross-platform content provider and not just a "legacy print" publishing company. So Drag Week's coverage is properly measured across multiple content channels, such as the live feed, webpage and Facebook coverage, video, and print.

Print is challenged by many factors, such as advertising and subscription revenues, production costs, budgets, and the immediacy of other information channels. These challenges are not unique to HRM or any other automotive title. Consumers have profoundly changed how they consume information and demographics continue to alter the business model of most print publications.

The print magazine has changed its DW coverage format nearly every year,, as DW has exploded and matured. This year's Fifty-plus quickest Drag Week competitors records for posterity the cars and drivers who hit the DW strips hard and fast. It's not a suggestion that TEN is losing interest. The event sells out and produces plenty of great story lines and content leads.

It is interesting that comments on HRM's Power Tour and DW coverage both tend to reinforce that many readers still want to see significant print coverage of these events, which ought to encourage legacy print writers and editors that the web hasn't totally killed off interest in more permanent forms of journalism.

As to whether Unlimited "stagnation" will affect DW interest, no one can really accurately predict where fastest street car racing is ultimately going to end up. There is already some pushback against the "pro mods." How far these "outlaws" can go before there's a backlash or a technical barrier is anyone's guess. But considering that the top cars are now pushing .9 lbs per horsepower and $200,000 or more, it's difficult to see a lot more "sensational 'firsts'" on the horizon. But then Roger Huntington once predicted 150 m.p.h. was the physical limit for wheel-driven dragsters . . . . Even if E.T.s level out, there's still plenty of drama in keeping a 5-second, 3,000+ horsepower rocket ship together for 1,000 miles.
                I think you hit the nail on the head. I learned this with our company - don't be an old fart. Everything today is social media. I'm going on 51 - I'd rather read a magazine ... but look .. here I am on the internet ... on a social platform ... lol

Print is dead. Some dont know it .. some wont admit it ... but the music is playing taps for it. Live feeds, FB, twitter, "likes", "follows", notifications, etc etc .. That is how the "kids" (majority +) get their information. Just look at YouTube - businesses (good revenue too) made from people producing videos with GoPros and some inexpensive software.

Like cars drive on the street, the new market place is now on social media ... with a lot to still figure out ... but that is where the proverbial rubber will hit the road.

I guess long way of saying ... what there is to "write" about drag week isn't where the value is ... how you can use it to drive traffic to your chosen platforms (social and sites) and what level you can equates to value (in the end ... $).

They cover it live for 7+ hours a day. That's telling. And viewer count increasing. Daily recaps. Etc. I am no expert by any means ... but I think they aren't even tapping the potential. Stuvy and Squirrel are right ... there will always be the top dog junkies - but I think the interest is in the true street/strip cars ... IMHO of course ... lol
                Last edited by Deucemopar; March 10, 2017, 05:13 PM. Reason: If for some reason HotRod drops it ... someone will pick it up I bet

Comment

Working...
                X