No announcement yet.

trying again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're on the road by the end of May, you should be ok....

I welded my headers with an oxyacetylene torch....but I'm in Gasser class, so I can get away with it!
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Walter View Post
      to be honest, and not to sound like i am tooting my own horn at all, i'm disappointed in my progress at this point in the season. i was hoping to be making smoke already by this point in april and get to testing by mid-may. that's not going to happen at this rate, lol. in years past i've been able to stay more focused, but i've never tried to run a program at the level i think this car will be at, so it's all pretty new to me, lol!
      Considering having a newborn I think you are doing awesome!

Comment

So a few things happened this week. I've been busy with sidework and honey-do, but the a couple parts trickled in

Sportsman Racepak showed up! If anyone is looking for a good guy to deal with, give Don O'Neal a shout on one of these. he's been very helpful/knowledgeable in this part. I'll ONLY be monitoring engine rpm, driveshaft rpm, and input shaft rpm for now for tuning the clutch. i'll add a dash and other sensors later when the money relaxes some.

also picked up some coils from Daytona Sensors! i'm really pumped about these. I was beginning to worry about the stock coils in the RPM range we're looking at so this should help with that.

the fuel system also needs a slight revamp since the engine will need more volume anyway, but then the fact we're going to e85 and will require that much more i figured it would be a good idea to put a real pump on it. 440 gph? that should do it Patrick at Pro Systems recommended his pump for this project so we got that too.

Lastly for the week, the car was dropped off at JSC Carbon and Racing Fabrication for some secret squirrel stuff (which i will reveal when i pick the car up ). this is the first time in 10 years i've left the car somewhere for work to be done. definitely a little separation anxiety going on! lol!

hoping to sit down and weld the headers up while the car is out, as well as get some more knocked out on these 2 cars i have here for side work.
        http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ps24d553b8.jpg
        Join The Militia

Comment

Awesome progress!!!!

Comment

looking at the goals for this year and how much is changing and how much work is left to be done, i'm beginning to think i've bitten off more than i can chew. then i'm reminded of a saying my mother says: "how do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time!"

here's my bite for the weekend. passenger's side header is ready for final fitment and flange welding.

driver's side will be in the same state by tonight and i'll have done everything i can while the car is out at the secret squirrel shop. i'll get back on the side work as a result.
            Join The Militia

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Walter View Post
              looking at the goals for this year and how much is changing and how much work is left to be done, i'm beginning to think i've bitten off more than i can chew. then i'm reminded of a saying my mother says: "how do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time!"

here's my bite for the weekend. passenger's side header is ready for final fitment and flange welding.

driver's side will be in the same state by tonight and i'll have done everything i can while the car is out at the secret squirrel shop. i'll get back on the side work as a result.

This was me last year, had never hit the track or even driven it longer than 3 minutes before we left for Ohio. We finished, it wasn't easy, but we did. You will too! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep going!

Comment

Re: fuel pump. I'm sure he knows the project is for Drag Week. We were looking at different race pumps and some are not recommended for continuous use. I assume this one is?

Comment

i'm assuming it is also honestly. i hope it holds up. i'll have a spare something or another (probably my old tsunami from aeromotive) with me in case.

driver's side now looks like passenger's side.

not a bad looking pair

and while it's not anything really to write home about, i'm pretty dang proud of this. final 2 seams actually looked pretty decent

i've gone as far as i can without the car here so now i wait. back to slaving away on the side job, lol!
                  Join The Militia

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

got a sneak peek picture of the secret squirrel stuff. can't wait to get the car back now

Join The Militia

Comment

[QUOTE=Matt Walter;n1158940]got a sneak peek picture of the secret squirrel stuff. can't wait to get the car back now

[/QUOTe

Area 51 type stuff makes me feel so inadequate .............. I'm just trying to fab a new cup holder.
                        Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

car came home from JSC Racing Fabrication today! Secret squirrel stuff no longer secret if you're on facebook, lol. for those of you that aren't following along on there, here ya go! i'm way excited about this. these guys really knocked it out of the park!

ok, so the car is home, but no more real progress will be made till the big side job is done and gone. lots to do on both cars, but it's critical that car make it to the show/race at the end of june. My big event this year is drag week. i may very well sit the june show/race out unfortunately. gotta pay the bills though ;)
                          Join The Militia

Comment

Awesome!!!!

Comment

so just to update, the interview that i had back 2 weeks ago now was actually very promising, but we've had a hard time coming to an agreement on salary. i sent my final offer to them today and have the attitude of if they don't take it, i'll find something else. Dad has some work for me to do over the next 2 weekends for MotorManiaTV outside of my normal responsibilities for them and I will be able to maintain some income that way for a little while, all while being aggressive on trying to get another new 9-5. honestly, if WRC and MMTV take over, i could very well be better off. it's difficult and scary to try to do that though.

thankfully i have plenty in the garage to keep me busy and i decided to try to clean up the mess i have in the engine bay on my car before i built the exhaust, so i chopped the frame rails off right at the star of the wheel wells. i love the way it turned out. the exhaust looks awesome now too.

a cool side-product of these super tight fitting headers: the engine can be pulled with them installed.

now that the big car show we go to is over (yes, i took the car with no engine or front bumper cover, lol!) i can focus on some other parts of the car. i own all the stuff i need for the rear axle updates and i will move forward with that now, including the wheelie bars (i'm stoaked about those, lol).

engine updates: we are still waiting on pistons. things are slow there. we'll get it though.
                              Join The Militia

Comment

so the photobucket debacle (if you don't know about it, google it) had me pretty frustrated and i wasn't sure what i was going to do. i decided to use just another free web host for now so that the pictures could continue. I have no idea if i'll be able to repair the older posts in this thread or others or not yet. I could, but it would take way more time than i have these days.

I got the job at ATI Performance Parts in Baltimore and start tomorrow. that was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. this will allow me to focus the side work/parts sales back into the car again and i can try to get this thing back on track.

I got back into town this past monday from a two week trip to Ohio and Tennessee to help mom and dad's business some while I wasn't working. this allowed me to keep the money flow thankfully. I have spent the majority of my free time in the garage since then and have the wheelie bars fitted, which of course required custom brackets which i cut out by hand, lol!

I also got the anti roll bar built. The parts are from PA Racing, per usual.

with as low as the car is, i had to clearance the ttop well for the bars. i'll patch this soon.

something of real interest! fully assembled 40 spline axles with rifle drilling and flange lightening are 1lb 1oz lighter each than my solid 31 spline axles. totally blown away by this!

fuel system is updated with -8 return. pretty happy with the way this turned out.

that's all for right now.
                                Join The Militia

Comment

Working...
                                X