Thoughts about camping while on DW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
    I'm not sure yet if I'm going to do the trailer thing again. Maybe, maybe not. The Firebird only has half the trunk space that the Skylark has though, so I may look for a hitch for it and take the trailer. If I do I'd look for a one man tent that I could set up in the trailer, keep me off wet grass, mud, etc. if the weather turns bad. Maybe even set up a few poles to run a tarp over to double up the weather protection. Its a simple 5'x8' open flat trailer with small sides, easy tent base. IDK, to far out for me to really worry about.

Would just move the storage box to the front.
    Plastic pallets are light and make great tent base to stay off the ground..
    Keeping you from having to unload the trailer to pop the tent..
    Just a thought..

Comment

Being that there are 4 of us in 3 cars, the camping thing might not be the most efficient of accommodations as far as cleanliness and ease. But if we were to camp, It has got to be easy up, easy down, and not take a ton of time. The whole idea is based around, sleeping anywhere, anytime. The 4 of us are getting together Friday to decide what to do. The 41 is the only vehicle that can easily pull a small trailer as it already has a removable hitch.
      HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
      DW- 12,16,17
      "Stay thirsty my friends"
      The worlds most interesting man

Comment

For the Skylark, I didn't really need a trailer, but since the wife came along with me I had just a bit more luggage and wanted to reduce the unpack/repack time so I took the small trailer. The only real unloading the trailer would require is pulling the tires and awning out. What you see in the picture is exactly how I traveled with it.

If I decide to camp next year I'll be soliciting folks to possibly travel as a pack and do a group camp for entertainment and parking lot BS sessions. Either at a track or at a truck stop. To me, I'd truck stop it. Roll in, shower, likely bum some wi-fi, set up a small air mattress in a small tent and call it the night. Or in some cases, may be a rest stop or some other unplanned location.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

If you decide to the camp thing next year Randal, count me in. I like your game plan and sounds like fun without the cost of rooms. I think I will be outvoted, and end up getting rooms, but I think camping is the way to go for me. I was thinking of doing something like the motorcycle trailer campers. It just folds out like a pop up or tent, and sleep on the floor of the actual trailer. Few pieces of pvc or conduit, a tarp with end end sewn shut, and the other with a zipper or tie off system , like tennis shoes and laces. Easy up, and easy down.....
          HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
          DW- 12,16,17

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	65047 sahara trailer ready for tent set up gates folded over.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1120325Click image for larger version

Name:	F2CJKW3GC4G9C7U.MEDIUM.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1120326

something like htis...

Comment

Comment

Exactly what i had in mind. Wouldn't be really hard to make, just have the time thing to worry about. My original plan was to sleep on a air mattress on the passenger side of the 41 floor and sleep in the car. But I have a rider and the seat will be in the way.
                HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                DW- 12,16,17

Comment

If you already have a pop up and don't need the space in the trailer I would get an exception for the size of the pop up!

I can see a new class forming, BBPAMH (big block power adder motor home).

You will see kitchen sinks in the pits while they are racing!
                  Last edited by Russell; August 24, 2016, 02:22 PM.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

"If you already have a pop up and don't need the space in the trailer I would get an exception for the size of the pop up!"

I guess I hadn't thought of asking for an exception. I suppose it wouldn't hurt as long as I didn't carry anything in it.

HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                    DW- 12,16,17

Comment

Originally posted by RAIV70Judge View Post
                      Being that there are 4 of us in 3 cars, the camping thing might not be the most efficient of accommodations as far as cleanliness and ease. But if we were to camp, It has got to be easy up, easy down, and not take a ton of time. The whole idea is based around, sleeping anywhere, anytime. The 4 of us are getting together Friday to decide what to do. The 41 is the only vehicle that can easily pull a small trailer as it already has a removable hitch.
                      Like above, truck stops have showers,, so do YMCA's ,
                      or do the hotel thing every odd day.. and camp the even ones.
                      plastic electric conduct and a tarp can make a cheap makeshift shower stall that breaks down to nothing..
                      a f/p and cheap hand held shower head.. bingo... power the f/p off one of the vehicle batteries and a5gal bucket..(water tank)
                      When in scouts we did this only we used a beer keg on top of the truck roof and gravity , the f/p would keep you from having to harm a roof paint..

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post

Like above, truck stops have showers,, so do YMCA's ,
                        or do the hotel thing every odd day.. and camp the even ones.
                        plastic electric conduct and a tarp can make a cheap makeshift shower stall that breaks down to nothing..
                        a f/p and cheap hand held shower head.. bingo... power the f/p off one of the vehicle batteries and a5gal bucket..(water tank)
                        When in scouts we did this only we used a beer keg on top of the truck roof and gravity , the f/p would keep you from having to harm a roof paint..

I'm definately not worried about the roof paint on the 41.... But I do like the shower idea, Thank you

I emailed the powers that be at Hot Rod, and the next day I got approval to haul a camper behind the 41, "..as long as it is never used to haul anything to support the race car"...
                        So over the weekend, we all had a discussion on whether or not to haul the camper. We all agreed, that weather would play a factor. So we are going to make the decision next week.
                        HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                        DW- 12,16,17

Comment

Good to hear they appoved it! I don't think there was much room in a pop up when they are in transport mode? I can see where it gets hard to police. Maybe can't haul support materials that will not easily fit in the uhaul trailer. If you mount spair tires to it and have a few spark plugs in the sink I don't think you have broken the sprit. As usual my opinion dies not count!
                          Last edited by Russell; August 29, 2016, 02:07 PM.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                          X