MUFFLERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MUFFLERS

Would like to know what some of you guys are running for mufflers.

I am debating on either getting some good performing "race" mufflers and leave them on all the time (probably loud), or to make something that would be quick to remove or a cutout (not electric) for the street.

Thought about running 2, 3.5" ultra flo ovals, but I'm not sure that would quiet it down much.
    OR
    2, 2.5" super turbos, or similar, that I would take off to race.

My combo is a 370" ls with 150 shot of nitrous, around 3100 pounds, runs high 9's. With 1 7/8 headers, 3.5" collectors with about 24" of 3.5" pipe.

Thoughts??? What do you run???
    Thanks!!!

I had glass packs and full tailpipes on mine, it was way too loud...I just put on a pair of Cadillac mufflers (actually 80s ford van) and it's way quiet now...I can hear all the other strange noises! 2.5 mufflers and pipes, I pull it all off for racing. 3.5" collector on the headers, car usually runs low 10s.

Free Shipping - Walker Universal SoundFX Mufflers with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Mufflers at Summit Racing.

on my 55 I have old big huge flowmasters, 3" pipes, full tail pipes, I leave them on for racing. Heavy, not real restrictive. But that car was/is slower.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

We drove the highway with a full system divided into three sections: headers, 3" pipes with Hooker mufflers and a cross pipe all welded into a single removable piece, and tail pipes up and over the rear axle. To race we peeled off the center section and left the tail pipes on the car. It worked well.

Comment

I have 3 in pipes to 3 in flowmaster 40s, dump at axle, remove for racing
        Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
        Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
        Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
        Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

Stock factory mufflers here.

Comment

I have 3" electric cutouts with dumps right off the headers and 3" tube that exits in front of rear tires. I chose Coffin mufflers because they have a 3" in/out version whose body is also only 3" tall. It's the shortest 3" muffler I could find and I'm really happy with tone and packaging/ ground clearance.
            Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

Dynomax stainless Ultra Flo in 3" diameter with crossover. I cobbled this together myself and it sounds and runs great. Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	1048559

Last edited by Ron Ward; July 31, 2015, 02:17 PM.
              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

4" QTP cutout on the downpipe, then reduced to a single 2.5 with a cheap generic muffler. Super quiet when closed, but open the cutout and the turbo spools just like an open downpipe. Cheap cutouts are terrible, but the nicer ones work great in my experience and don't leak at all.

Comment

a pair of 62-67mm turbos and a pair of 3" bullets will quiet that 370 down just fine

Comment

I've been running 3" to dynomax race bullets dumped at the axle. I really didn't think it was that bad after I put the carpet and sound deadener back in.
                    1980 Turbo T/A - Turbocharged 408ci Pontiac. survived DW 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Comment

4" pipe with 4" dynomax bullets turned down at the rear axle. Some dude at D.W. 14, that was driving a turbo firebird with a bass boat paint job, said my car was too loud. Isn't it about loud cars with too much cam and compression? JMHO. : )

Comment

I run the Summit super Turbo brand... they were too loud for a street car so
                        I put on a set of straight through resonators prior to the muffs.. nice sound
                        now and I also run a pair of 2.5" electric dumps to reduce back pressure...
                        it is what it is on performance... all I'm looking for is low 10.0.... sound to
                        a lot of guys is all over the map.... at my age.. I want to listen to the stereo
                        while cruising
                        EDIT
                        If you put the muffs at the rear bumper the exhaust is cooler and the
                        sound/note is easier to control.... everyone has their own idea what
                        is ok and whats not.... if your looking for performance only then its
                        gonna be loud(normally because they are straight through)... I use
                        to be that way
                        I did a DB test on mine with just the muffs... it was 96 DB... with the
                        resonators it dropped to 86 DB.. thats a good bit of difference(get the
                        DB meter APP on your phone)
                        Last edited by MR P-BODY; August 7, 2015, 01:16 PM.

Comment

4.5" collectors, necked down to 3" inlet 2.5" outlet DynoMax 'turbo' mufflers. Exit after rear tires, remove to race and add 4.5" x 10" Collector extension with turn downs. True Street events, 4" Dynotech race mufflers with turn down/outs. Trick is v-band clamps.
                          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                            4.5" collectors, necked down to 3" inlet 2.5" outlet DynoMax 'turbo' mufflers. Exit after rear tires, remove to race and add 4.5" x 10" Collector extension with turn downs. True Street events, 4" Dynotech race mufflers with turn down/outs. Trick is v-band clamps.
                            Thats all I use is the V-band clamps... so easy

Comment

3.5" Dynomax Ultraflows here. Not quiet but not obnoxious either.

Comment

Working...
                              X