Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lot's of new tire choices, what is the best for my application?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I have done some bracket racing back in the day with a relatively low-powered car equipped with MT drag radials, I am not particularly knowledgeable about the science of traction issues as it pertains to different types of racing tires. In particular, I would be grateful if someone could explain the concept of "deadhook". What is it? Is it a good thing? Or not? Are some types of tires more prone to do it? Does it cause breakage to parts, or have no real effect? Etc? Thanks in advance.
    Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Dead hooking means very little if any tire spin. With a well adjusted suspension it can mean a fast straight launch with good 60 foot times. But it can also produce big wheelies, and dead hooking will quickly reveal driveline weaknesses. In my experience bias ply slicks are more likely to dead hook than drag radials or radial slicks.
      1970 Mustang Sportsroof
      427 SFI aluminum Cleveland
      F1A ProCharger

Comment

Originally posted by oldskool70 View Post
        Dead hooking means very little if any tire spin. With a well adjusted suspension it can mean a fast straight launch with good 60 foot times. But it can also produce big wheelies, and dead hooking will quickly reveal driveline weaknesses. In my experience bias ply slicks are more likely to dead hook than drag radials or radial slicks.

oldskool70: thanks for the explanation...understandable and to the point.
        Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Working...
        X