power adder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power adder

Looks like I am 3 years too late to get into the top 32 but I'm giving it yet another shot. Speaking of shots, I am wanting to join the bottle crowd. Anyone here have any experience with Nitros Xpress? Looking at their ML1001 system. Wanted to use NOS because of their connection with Drag Week, but their entry unit is $200 higher and that's a bunch of bacon. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

I was in the same boat as you last year and decided nitrous would work for me. I did some internet research and decided on Nitrous Express. I bought a carb system based on their recommendation and also their aux tank and fuel pump. I had some problems and fixed them myself as it is a real PITA shipping things back and forth across our borders. Expensive too. The pump that was supplied was defective. The no name pump still had the shavings inside from the machine work. It was assembled with no cleaning or pride of workmanship. Also the electrical relay was wired wrong. They had one wire colour not even on the instruction sheet and the ones that were the right colour were in the wrong locations. The folks at nitrous express were fine and answered any questions I had before I ordered the kit. I am not bashing them in fact they are not even aware of the problems I had as I did not inform them. I am sure they would have fixed things for me if I had. It did the trick ,had to slow car down and put a new rear end in when I got home. Car did not like dead hook and wheel up launches. That was with a 50 shot.

Comment

Personally I would say, bite the bullet and go turbo. No bottle to constantly refill.

Comment

I have the NX mainline on my car right now. I haven't had any issues with it. has a cool looking machined plate that has holes in the plenum divider instead of a spray bar. think its only 3/4" thick. the solenoids are not huge, but seem to do well. I've had 1200 psi on them and they didn't stick or anything.

I have only really tried to tune in the 150 shot, but the factory jets were quite lean on fuel. I run 7psi on fuel instead of their recommended 9 and my carb tuned fat. with 800-900 psi in the bottle its pretty spot on. I pull 7 degrees manually when I run it. I have never tried to bump the timing up. runs 102mph on the motor and 115 mph on the 150 shot. only ran 112-113mph with the recommended fuel and bottle pressure settings. my afr with no spray was around 12.4 then and about 12.0 now.

I went turbo. killed bearings in turbo. went back to N2O... I will be going back to the turbo, but nitrous is cheap fun. if you don't get to race often like me, its awesome.
        1980 Turbo T/A - Turbocharged 408ci Pontiac. survived DW 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Comment

Been using a bottle for 25 years and think its the easy button...Never sprayed at DW my old truck runs 11.50 on motor but it will give you a full second... Go for it and have fun see you there
          Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
          Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

You might get a better price if you call Monte Smith directly- look up Monte Smith Performance- he has a website. I bought my Fogger plumb kit from him and he was cheaper than Summit. As for which is better- no idea. The president of NX (I think) used to run DW with a diesel Mustang. Their stuff has always seemed to me to be overpriced but I know that they have released a bare bones kit or two now that is cheaper. I went with Monte because he has always been helpful to those I know that have asked him questions. He will help you at DW get your tune right, I am sure, no matter who you buy from.

I would not go with a second fuel system- they add weight and complexity. I removed mine. I added a drain valve to the fuel tank and will drain the tank at the track and add race gas. But with a 150 shot, you will not need a very high octane fuel.

As for turbos- they are way more expensive up front compared to N2O.
            Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Okay Jesse,
              I'll spell this out as easy as I can

NOS Big Shot Cheater upgrade Kit: 0027 Summit price 230$

This gives you a 4500 plate, super pro shot nitrous solenoid, -6 feed line, -6 bottle nut, jets, solenoid to plate lines, and jets for some basic tunes.

Then you will need an 18050 NOS fuel cheater solenoid Summit price 85$ There are 3 on Ebay right now for under 60$, and while I prefer a new nitrous solenoid, fuel solenoids rarely go bad.

Next, bottles and bottle brackets. I know you have the skill to fab your own brackets, but once again, EBAY, craigslist, and swap meets are your friend! I have never once owned a new bottle, and I have had over twenty! I've never paid more than 125$ for one, and usually 50-85 range. Immediately after purchasing your used bottles, take them to get hydrostatic tested, and re-certed, and make sure it's a reputable place that actually tests them, not just stamps them. You will need at least two for DW, one to race on, and the second to get filled by Monte each day.

Now, you need a relay, a toggle switch, and a button.

Let me explain why I'm not going to sell you a bunch of other expensive safety equipment, or bells and whistles:
              You want to improve the performance of your truck for 5 to 15 passes a year, not suddenly become a big time nitrous racer, so you want this to be as simple, user friendly, and cheap as possible!

Button activation versus full throttle switch: A simple button is the only thing I've ever used, hooked up this way, you can bump the button at idle to make sure the system is ready, no need for a separate purge system. You can bring the N20 in and out whenever you want with a button. No need to break stuff on the launch, leave as normal, then grab the button about 30ft out, if any thing goes wrong at any point in the run, you can lift off the nitrous while staying in the throttle, then get back on it or ride out the pass on the engine.

Any trouble free fuel system capable of feeding the engine, and not vapor locking as you drive around town, is capable of feeding the plate too, so save your money, and t-off from the carb.

This is the same set-up that took our 66 Satellite from 13.40-99 to 11.37-114. Took the 67 Belvedere from 13.00-104 to 11.54-118, the 73 Charger from 13.45-103 to 11.45-120, and the Gremlin from 10.41-126 to 9.08-147.

Comment

Thanks Billy, I was definitely leaning that way. I can save $$$$ and support NOS at the same time.

If I can drop a second, it will be right where I need it to be. I do believe there will be a bunch of "no bar" folks lurking around the 11.50 mark and I want to be in the mix.
                Now I just need to finish a tractor or two so I can join the bottle crowd.

Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Originally posted by c2xejk View Post
                  Personally I would say, bite the bullet and go turbo. No bottle to constantly refill.
                  I don't know about you but I don't need a bottle or a turbo on the street. Track is a whole different story, and how often are you at that? Thought I'd throw a little perspective in.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Motive View Post
                    I don't know about you but I don't need a bottle or a turbo on the street. Track is a whole different story, and how often are you at that? Thought I'd throw a little perspective in.

I have been trying 3 years to get into the 32 car field and finished in the middle every year. Figured the bottle is the only way to go with the truck weighing 4760# and needing to drive it every day of the year. Was wanting to get there N/A but that ain't happening.

I'll keep checking e-bay.............90% of the truck came from there anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by greenXpress View Post

I have been trying 3 years to get into the 32 car field and finished in the middle every year. Figured the bottle is the only way to go with the truck weighing 4760# and needing to drive it every day of the year. Was wanting to get there N/A but that ain't happening.

I'll keep checking e-bay.............90% of the truck came from there anyway.
                      Best I can tell you is do a lot of reading if you've never used it before. You can scatter your motor with any power adder or brand if you don't know what you're doing.
                      Last edited by G-Motive; June 11, 2015, 10:22 PM.

Comment

I think Mopar Billy's recipe is the right way to go. It is really easy to get all complicated and have it not work or break stuff. I tried to get the way complicated progressive dry shot EFI stuff on my junk going last year and ran out of time as we chased other issues and my lack of knowledge. As a result I was the guy who brought a knife to a gun fight in SR BB PA.

We put the dead simple ZEX single fogger style nozzle set-up on my buddy Karls 62 Ford pick-up. It has a dead stock four valve 4.6 mod motor out of a 2003 Marauder. It went from 13.90's to 12.50's with a 125 shot. All we did was mix some 100 unleaded in with the remaining 91 Cali pump premium. No timing changes, nothing.
                        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I will look I think I have extra bottle bracket and -4 feed line I will let you know later today. if I have them they are yours if you want.

Comment

Working...
                          X