Cooling inline booster pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling inline booster pump?

Looking at adding one these Stewart component's inline booster electric water pump to help low speed cooling. Part Number e558a and flows 55 gpm. I was told by stewart that they work great at low speeds like small towns and stop and go and it's a flow through desing so you can turn it off and on when you want. I do have their water pump W/ engine fan and thermostat with 3 bypass holes which worked great but did have a couple of times where getting lost once and slow traffic trying to find a check point the temps were getting a little on the hot side.

Have any of you guys ran this or have tried it? Just thought I would ask before ordering. Any info would be appreciated.

Thank You.

I would tend to think low speed warm ups would be a lack of airflow over coolant flow. I run a 35GPM electric pump and used to have borderline cooling at low speed, I added a better setup with dual fans and it really helped at low speed, it helped on the highway also but my barracuda doesn't have much grill opening so its pretty dependent on clean airflow(no traffic) on the highway.
    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

x2 on it being an airflow issue. I run only an electric water pump, just a puny 17gpm one, on an inline 6 cylinder, and it has zero issues at low speeds with the electric fan on the radiator, and above around 25mph it has zero issues staying cool until loaded up at ~2,500rpm on the highway for a while on a hot day. Then it starts getting iffy, though hasn't overheated on me yet, just runs the pump at full speed continuously, which means its at it's limit.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Thanks for the info gunna try a big dual fan setup with the mech pump and let it ride. See you guys in September.

Comment

I bought an aftermarket fan setup off of a Dodge Intrepid, it has worked great, has a high and low speed and moves lots of air. You might also look into the Chevy HHR fan as they are shrouded well and move tons of air.
          1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
          1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

I run the HHR fan on my Firebird. I do wish it had a low speed setting as when I'm in traffic or a drive through on a not so hot day, it doesn't really need the full fan and it cycles on and off more often than I'd like it too, but it sure does drop the temps!
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I went with the KISS method on mine. Belt driven OE style pump, OE clutch fan and OE shroud. I don't have to worry about a pump or fan motor going out and don't have to worry about the extra load on my charging system. If my motor is running and I have a belt, I have cooling! Highest temp in 2014 was about 215 on the way from Topeka to OKC.
              Drag Week 2014 SR/BB/NA 11.12 @ 118.56 average
              Drag Week 2015 SR/BB/NA 10.84 @ 124.97 average

Comment

I was unsuccesful running a 35 gpm pump at highway speeds. Cooled fine at low speeds but couldn't keep up going down the highway. Switched back to mechanical pump and problem solved.

Comment

I am running one as my only pump. It works very well. I build an extension in the wiring to move the controller under my dash instead of in the engine bay. However, I am getting ready change things up and go wih a mechanical.
                  Vehicle: 1940 Chrysler Windsor coupe
                  Engine: 1968 383 big block

Comment

Originally posted by Hooter View Post
                    I was unsuccesful running a 35 gpm pump at highway speeds. Cooled fine at low speeds but couldn't keep up going down the highway. Switched back to mechanical pump and problem solved.
                    35 GPM CSI in conventional was marginal on my 588", 55GPM Meziere Radiator mount has been good tp go
                    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

A 35 GPM Pro Comp pump and HHR fan worked well in my car for several years until the pump shaft seal began weeping. Water temp was 190ish on the hottest days and it would idle in the staging lanes at 180 all day long. The new engine has a Meziere and so far it seems to be fine as well. Straight water + 1 bottle of water wetter.
                      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Working...
                      X