Hydrolic Rollers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrolic Rollers

Who makes a in house built, not bought and resold like most cam company's? Heard stories that most come from a company like Johnson. Had Comps, didn't like them, (same as their solid rollers) bought and installed Crowers (liked their bushed solid rollers) and still have an issue, half turn passes zero lash and 3 still knock. Got 3 sets to replace the knockers and 1 has a Comp Cam tie bar, direct from Crower. They claim they buy from Johnson but rebuild them to their specs in house and pressure test before shipping. These are for a Pontiac so I'm sure pickin's are slim. Oh, maybe its cause I can't spell HYDRAULIC, dang English language.
    Last edited by BlackGTO; May 29, 2015, 02:45 PM.
    First place SSBBNA 2014 and 2015
    Second place SSBBNA 2016
    Third place SSBBNA 2017
    Quickest ET in DD and Quickest Pontiac 2008, 2016 and 2017
    All 13 years of Drag Week in a Black 1969 Pontiac with Pontiac Power

Morels?

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Vince, is this for your DW engine? My set up has done well, no failures, no lifter issues what so ever for the last three DW's. I'm using Isky EZ roll's, the higher end version with "MaxRoll" material, in a .904" size with bushed lifter bores. Not cheap, but they work at our kind of cam lobe profiles, lift, spring rate etc. I assume you have an after market Poncho block so the lifter bores are stable. These are solids, but that's where the power is. The larger lifter gives you a larger wheel which is easier on the lobe and the lifter side loading.

You have to have the cam ground for the larger wheel. One other thing, after breaking a spring in 2012, I had to go to bigger springs and the rockers broke more often so that meant a set T&D stainless rockers which have been perfect. This is what a lot of the unlimited guys are running except they have the even bigger key way lifters.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

That's who makes the ones in my Buick. The fully shrouded wheel to keep oil from hemorraging at high lift. But I don't run crazy lift or ramp rates either. My stock block would crack apart trying.

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I run rebranded Morels (the high RPM version), but had bad luck trying to get them from Straub Tech. I would talk to Bullet Cams for some Morels. Waited 2 months for Straub to get me a pair before cancelling the order- had a set from Bullet in 2 days after ordering.
          Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Thank you all. I will look into all sugjestions. Bill, their for my Goat, just can't get away from soft hydraulics. Non consistency. Had 2 out of 16 now 3. Cam is a bit heavy for a hydraulic roller street. Kinda looking for what we used to call antipumpups. I think some of these sugjestions will do it. Thanks, then on to the Bird
            Second place SSBBNA 2016
            Third place SSBBNA 2017

Comment

I would just go with solid rollers
              Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
              Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
              Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
              Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

Originally posted by tsanchez View Post
                I would just go with solid rollers
                I wonder if anyone did that with a hydraulic roller cam.Valve springs might be too light.
                Second place SSBBNA 2016
                Third place SSBBNA 2017

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGTO View Post

I wonder if anyone did that with a hydraulic roller cam.Valve springs might be too light.
                  I run Crower solids on a Comp hydraulic grind.
                  Worked fine with the hydraulic roller springs but I did switch to solid roller springs when I changed to 1.65 rockers so I could get the right installed height for the higher lift.
                  How big is the cam you are running?

Comment

We ran a ls with a hyd roller in the .600 range on solids, lashed at .005 and it was fine. Getting a solid cam profile would be better though
                    Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
                    Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
                    Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
                    Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Goathead455 View Post

I run Crower solids on a Comp hydraulic grind.
                      Worked fine with the hydraulic roller springs but I did switch to solid roller springs when I changed to 1.65 rockers so I could get the right installed height for the higher lift.
                      How big is the cam you are running?
                      Street car only, that's why I went hydraulic, 236 and 242@50. .520 and .540 lift
                      Second place SSBBNA 2016
                      Third place SSBBNA 2017

Comment

Smaller cam than I have.
                        Lashed at .004 cold,ends up being .006 to .007 hot.
                        Runs very quiet.
                        Did close to 6000 miles round trip on Drag week last year with no issues.

Comment

I was just at the Johnson factory a couple weeks ago looking for hydraulic rollers for my Pontiac engine, since I was in their area. They gave me the royal treatment, including a tour of the facility. It was all a bit overwhelming, so tough to remember all the details, but they make ALL their stuff between 2 facilities, the final machining, assembly, inspection and testing done at the facility I visited, and primary machining at another facility not too far away, so 100% US made. Plungers and bodies are select fit after being manufactured and measured to a few millionths of an inch, all lifters are tested for bleed-down rates, and they intentionally stayed with a smaller diameter roller, since the main body could be made stronger and more fatigue resistant, especially in the corners of the cut-outs for the rollers. They're mainly an OEM supplier (LS engine being their greatest volume if I remember right) so they really have their quality controlled tightly, as you'd expect for OEM stuff. Also, the Isky lifters are now Johnson as they're moving away from Morel as a supplier, and sounds like Johnson will be supplying other aftermarket companies soon too.

There was probably a bunch more, but I can't remember all the details now. I think you'd do well with the Johnsons. They're not easy to find in the wild yet, but try http://www.luhnperformance.com/, or you can call Randy at Johnson and see how he can set you up with a set 734-955-6500.

Comment

Good info, Thanks
                            Second place SSBBNA 2016
                            Third place SSBBNA 2017

Comment

Working...
                            X