E85 for 2015? No Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E85 for 2015? No Problem

As one of those turbo folks who enjoy the benefits of corn fuel, this year is gonna be great. E85 Gas stations abound in Illinois and Indiana, the states in which we'll spend most of the time.

Quick screenshot of E85 stations in each state.

Illinois

Indiana

Obviously we have no idea what the route between tracks will be, but with some simple planning via teh interwebs (http://www.ethanolretailer.com/flex-fuel-station-finder) and a smartphone app (I use Flex Fuel Station Locator) it shouldn't be too difficult.

I've actually kept the stock in-cab tank in my 1970 C10, and have a small pump to transfer to the fuel cell in the rear. Makes an easy way to tanker ~40 gallons of corn between stops. Throw in a few 5 gallon cans and the range is excellent.

That is great news
    Last edited by Honk if Parts Fall Off; May 9, 2015, 06:42 PM.
    http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...IMG_3754-1.jpg

Comment

I really think it's great that something to be more environmentally friendly ends up being a relitively cheap source of racing fuel!

Comment

Don't get started on this environmentally friendly topic
        Drag week 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17,18
        Power Tour 97,98,99,00,02,04,05
        Street Machine Nats 79,80,81,82,83,84,85,86,87,88,89,90,91,92,93

Comment

Would be great if I could make the trip. Plenty of fuel in the area. It's vastly more environmentally friendly than gas, far easier on parts too. I want to do Drag Week in a bad way, other priorities... As usual.

Comment

I was gonna set up for E-85 but I didnt.. I didnt need to go to that
            compression and still meet my HP needs... I cant run any quicker
            than a 10.0.. so the engine made the power on 93 octane and will
            run on 87 octane... so I will most likely split 87/93 for race days...
            my race car is set up for E-85 and I love it

Comment

e85 isn't more "environmentally friendly" than gas at all when you factor in the production of it. it's like saying "electric cars do not pollute"

Also, another thing to look into, the subsidies for e85 have been going away, so prices are up, and MOST importantly: you rarely get e85 in that midwest corridor. This year's tests show you'll get anywhere between e55 and e95. So make sure you're bringing the right equipment to retune for the e85 on the fly for every tank. For EFI guys, this means either a Flex Fuel sensor and good tuneups for all brews, or rescaling your fuel table (at the least) to accomodate the new stoich values. Carburetors need not apply!
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

"Carburetors need not apply! " Not true just need to test fuel at each stop and carry the good stuff for the track.
                Drag week 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17,18
                Power Tour 97,98,99,00,02,04,05
                Street Machine Nats 79,80,81,82,83,84,85,86,87,88,89,90,91,92,93

Comment

I really think it's great that something to be more environmentally friendly ends up being a relitively cheap source of racing fuel!
                  Burning E85 might be green, but producing it pollutes tens of thousands of gallons of water. Not to mention, how dumb is it to burn food? Switchgrass produces more ethanol than corn, but we don't grow much of it here in the States. So does sugar cane.... that's what they use in Brazil.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post

Also, another thing to look into, the subsidies for e85 have been going away, so prices are up, and MOST importantly: you rarely get e85 in that midwest corridor. This year's tests show you'll get anywhere between e55 and e95. So make sure you're bringing the right equipment to retune for the e85 on the fly for every tank. For EFI guys, this means either a Flex Fuel sensor and good tuneups for all brews, or rescaling your fuel table (at the least) to accomodate the new stoich values. Carburetors need not apply!
                    Have you been testing it yourself and see the inconsistency? I've been burning a ton of it this spring, from 4 different stations, and have yet to see any noticeable difference in the blend. I'm not doubting your words, just saying I have not personally seen it yet.

Comment

If your testing from local or semi local places they probably all get it from the same hub.
                      1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                      1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Working...
                      X