Shifter recommendation - auto trans Ford AOD and T400 or PG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter recommendation - auto trans Ford AOD and T400 or PG

As completion of the new to me ride for DW '15 continues I need to buy a new shifter. I'd like some more 'solid' than the B&M I've used in the 71 Mustang. I'd laso like to be able to use with the current AOD, but also the likely down the road Turbo 400 or PowerGlide.

What works and looks good doing it?
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

What B&M are you running now? I have a Pro-Stick and it's been aces. I made a pedestal that bolts to the floorpan, seals off the stock shifter hole and is in a comfortable position when I am belted in. The shift plates in a pro-stick are changeable for different patterns or transmissions.

Last edited by BBR; May 1, 2015, 01:57 PM.
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I like the TurboAction Cheetah shifters but I don't believe that they will cross over to the dark side for those other transmissions you mentioned in your future

Comment

I got some great compliments on this today

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

In my race car I have a B&M Pro Ratchet.. thats the best shifter I have owned..
          that in a 8 sec car.. NEVER missed a shift... in competition you want a ratchet
          shifter... bang it as hard as you want... but you HAVE to let go so it goes back
          to zero for the next shift... I use 2 fingers with a slight pull.... wish I would have
          got the same thing for the hot rod............... but I didnt

Comment

When I buy another shifter, it is will be one of these:

Lutz uses them in the 57's and they are real light.
            Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Turbo Action Cheetah or a Winters/Maverick Sidewinder - same shifter, basically.. but all that's required is to swap the gate plate and trans brackets to adapt between transmissions..
              DW2013 - DNF (Gateway - trans failure)
              DW2014 - SR BB/PA class winner!
              DW2015 - Finished in 1 piece (for once!)
              DW2016 - Still "Fox Free" ;)

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                I got some great compliments on this today

Kilduff Lightning Rods! Putting the same shifter in my kids turbo Fairmont..
                DW2013 - DNF (Gateway - trans failure)
                DW2014 - SR BB/PA class winner!
                DW2015 - Finished in 1 piece (for once!)
                DW2016 - Still "Fox Free" ;)

Comment

I tell ya, after I got the hesitation out of the shifts in the transmission, its a great feeling pulling those levers and instantly feeling the transmission hit the next gear, up or down!
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Bill did you do a build thread on the fox?
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

I've been using the Turbo Action Cheetah since we did the back half on the car in 2004. It has given me super solid shifts with multiple transmissions, both forward and reverse manual patterns. As was said before, all that has to be changed is the gate plate. I currently have a reverse manual valve body and I don't even look at the shifter, I just slap down so it hits the gate and the spring kicks/ flops it over in position so all I have to do is slap it again for 3rd. Works the same going forward but slapping up instead.

It seems to be one of the simplest, no frills, dependable shifters out there. The last time I walked the pits of a Sportsman race I saw the Cheetah shifter in a higher volume of Stock/ SS cars than others. That's what originally shifted me over to this one...get it...see what I did there...ok I'll shut up now.
                      Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

I have a B&M Megashifter, a ratchet style shifter, that has functioned well enough, but it has become sloppy, and was never all tight to begin with. Like BBR I built a plate to mount it on which bolts to the factory shifter boot location. Not a raised plate though which is interesting.

The Precision Products pages no longer work which is too bad as they look good. That leaves me with the B&M Pro Ratchet like BBR or the Winters/Cheetah or whomever sells that one now per Rich. I like the ability to integrate the line lock button so that has me leaning towards the B&M.

Thanks guys, great advice as always.
                        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Just don't get one like mine

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I use the ball with the button on my pro ratchet for the line lock... I dont
                            hold the handle once I do the burn out... but the T handle looks cool Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00016.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1028114

Comment

The Cheetah comes with a line lock button in the shift handle as well

Comment

Working...
                              X