My drag week attempt GTO 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My drag week attempt GTO 2.0

It has been a long cold winter after turning in my spot for dw 2014, and pretty quiet here on BS lately especially in the absence of dw updates. Although I have not posted much on here I enjoy reading about builds and projects on cars preparing for or participating in drag week. After an engine problem sidelined me last year from going for the first time ever, even after getting signed up with the 8 minute sellout of registration, I am working on rebuilding for drag week attempt 2.0 with hopes that registration goes in my favor once again. I figured I would post some progress updates and pictures as I move forward hoping it will be interesting and worthwhile for anyone that wants to keep up on progress.

Rewind to August 2014, 12 days before loading up for Tulsa, in final preparations I drop the oil out of the 454 that I have been running without a hiccup since building it back in 2005, it spent a few years on a stand while the car got new paint, otherwise it had been a low use engine to this point. So I pull the plug and find small shards of metal on the magnetic plug, a sinking feeling sets in as I send a picture of it to my friend who built the motor. An hour later after cutting the oil filter in half and finding what seemed like a massive amount of glitter the engine came out and was down to a block by evening. We diagnosed the problem as a clearance problem with the aftermarket timing cover that was put on the winter prior during a check over and pan swap, worst decision ever. It was such a light rub that it didn’t make any noise and only after a trip to the local drag strip and a 200+ mile test road trip was there enough metal to be noticeable. There was no major damage to anything but the oil pump along with needing needing new bearings and a hone job I called around to any shop I could find in a three hour driving range trying to find one that could rush it through for a quick turnaround in less than a week so I could stick it back together and head for Tulsa. No such luck, the only shop that could pull it off needed a week and a half. Call me a quitter but I decided to throw in the towel at around 9 days out in hopes some other lucky wait list person could take my place.

I spent all fall and early winter in a holding pattern, trying to save up some money planning on stepping up in cubic inches to a 540 while I was at it. After attempting but not much luck in selling the block off and knowing the 540 would stretch me pretty thin all year long to get it going and try to make drag week I decided to rebuild. This time going for a build much stronger than it was before. The last engine started life in my GTO as a 10.5:1 comp, 30 over, stock oval port head, flat tappet cam street motor that with the right gears would push the big A body into the 12.7’s at 4000 foot altitude, not bad for my first budget build done back in college. So after spending many hours reading, researching and calling around to decide on heads, cam, and everything else that is going in I now have a plan that is finally in motion. The first boxes of parts showed up yesterday and we are headed to the machine shop yet this week to get the block freshened up and ready to build.
    Here are some planned changes in store between now and September
    • Rebuild engine with the following
    • Bore to 60 over and new pistons
    • New AFR heads
    • Upgrade to solid roller camshaft
    • Lifter and rocker system upgrades to top it off
    • Electric fan setup
    • Gear Vendor overdrive to add onto the Jerico so I can run more than 55 down the highway with the 4.30 rear end gears I am running.
    • Roll cage install, depending on altitude I hope to be under the 11.5 mark and for safety reasons at this point it is a decision that is clear even though I have been opposed to installing one into the GTO for a long time.

Here are some pictures of where it stands today.
    Last edited by 68gto; March 6, 2015, 07:50 AM.

Bummer to hear about last years try. Get it together and on the road for this year. You will not regret one minute of Drag Week.. Words can not explain the experience. Keep posting the progress.
    Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Man I feel your pain, this will be my attempt 2.0 too. Last year I was on my way to Tulsa about 5 hour out and I had issues that I could not overcome in the time I had. For me I would have felt better if I broke on day one, because at least I could say I was a part of DW. But no matter what as long as I get signed up for this year’s event I’m going to be there (wherever there is). So, if we both make it this year first round in on me, hell second round is on me too.

Drag Week 2014 Broke down on the drive to Tulsa https://www.bangshift.com/forum/core...y-angry019.gif
      Drag Week 2015 Street Machine Eliminator Finished
      Drag Week 2016 out day one, better luck next year I hope
      Drag Week 2017 out day one second pass trans went, next year in question https://www.bangshift.com/forum/core...y-angry034.gif

Comment

Last year was my first year doing DW. It had been on my bucket list since 2005 when I watched the first day of the first DW at KCIR. It was everything I wanted it to be and more! Absolutely the best vacation I have ever been on. You will never find a more friendly and helpful group anywhere else. I was lucky enough to have all my issues pop up with enough time to get it back together a week before registration and lucky enough to not have any trouble all week.
        Drag Week 2014 SR/BB/NA 11.12 @ 118.56 average
        Drag Week 2015 SR/BB/NA 10.84 @ 124.97 average

Comment

This past year was my second time in drag week, in 2013 I was my brothers trunk monkey, and 2014 was going to be my first drag week with my car there, well I had catastrophic failure on day one pass one, broke a rod and cam, and punched a baseball size hole in the number 5 cylinder, and I don't regret on second of it, I rode with my brother in his challenger for 2014, I will be back for 2015, with a 494 ci in my cuda this time

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG View Post
            Man I feel your pain, this will be my attempt 2.0 too. Last year I was on my way to Tulsa about 5 hour out and I had issues that I could not overcome in the time I had. For me I would have felt better if I broke on day one, because at least I could say I was a part of DW. But no matter what as long as I get signed up for this year’s event I’m going to be there (wherever there is). So, if we both make it this year first round in on me, hell second round is on me too.
            You actually made two trips to Tulsa... well the first one not quite all of the way, but the second trip was all of the way!

I'm in for a round or two for as well!

Hopefully soon we will hear something in regards to where we will be having those rounds!

Comment

Well nothing ever seems to go as planned with car projects, at least not for me. I had hoped to have a 468 mostly built by now and on my way to finishing it. Upon arrival at the machine shop with the old block there was an issue from a sleeve installed the first go around that they would not guarantee any work on. So rather than sinking money into the old block that is questionable I decided to go ahead and upgrade. It was in the plans down the road, this just moved up the timeframe. Some other planned upgrades will probably not be happening this year but that’s what next year is for!
              So the new Dart big m will be a 540! After getting a block, getting it prepped and swapping parts I had already ordered I finally got everything back from the shop yesterday and got to work on it today. Once the cam shows up and a few more phone calls to order more parts I will be on my way to getting it assembled and on the run stand.
              Here is a picture of the new block

Comment

Nice! Get that thing together and going! Drag Week will be here before you know it....well, maybe
                Drag Week 2014 SR/BB/NA 11.12 @ 118.56 average
                Drag Week 2015 SR/BB/NA 10.84 @ 124.97 average

Comment

If your buying rounds I can help out in this area sense I've been told that I'm a pro... keep me in mind if help is needed
                  Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
                  Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

Seems to be harder getting in with a registration, than getting a car ready !

Comment

You've got plenty of time to get it ready... I expect to see it this year.
                      DW2013 - DNF (Gateway - trans failure)
                      DW2014 - SR BB/PA class winner!
                      DW2015 - Finished in 1 piece (for once!)
                      DW2016 - Still "Fox Free" ;)

Comment

Working...
                      X