OEM seat belt vs Harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM seat belt vs Harness

I am about to install a roll cage in my car and I have been debating what to do about seat belts. For the track I would need a 5-point, but what about for the street? Do I keep the stock OEM 3-point belt for street use? Or am I fine with the 5-pt on the street? Comfort level of the 5-point belts for the long drives? (current plan is to keep the stock seats.)

So what does everybody here do? Anybody run a 5-point and been pulled over? Did the officer have any issues with the harness?

I am wondering about both the legal and safety issues.

Thanks

I've driven my 55 for years with a roll bar and 5 point harness, but I only use the lap belt unless I'm racing.

My Chevy II hasn't been on the road very long, it has a cage, and it's a bit more squirrelly, and I always use the 5 point.

Either way, if you want to be really safe on the street in a car with a roll bar/cage, you kinda need to wear a helmet, and that isn't likely to happen.
    Last edited by squirrel; March 4, 2015, 11:27 AM.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I have both belts in my car. Stock belts on the street and 5 point for the track. I did that in the event a LEO wanted to give me hard time about using non-DOT approved belts on the street.
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

might want to check local laws . here in southern ontario the man wants stock belts . i also run both .

Comment

On drivers side I use two sets of 5 PT harness, std 3" for the track, and for the street I use a JR Dragster Set for over the shoulders.
          Passenger side I use a JR Dragster set,. Easier on the shoulders with t shirt.

Comment

I just use the lap/crotch from my 5-point. The shoulder straps are too restrictive for me for normal driving. Next time the latch will be on the right lap belt so I don't have to use the crotch strap. Hard to hold a beverage with that crotch strap in the way! If my car had a regular 3-point belt for the OE belts, I would have left them in place.
            Drag Week 2014 SR/BB/NA 11.12 @ 118.56 average
            Drag Week 2015 SR/BB/NA 10.84 @ 124.97 average

Comment

Arizona law says something about using seat belts in 1972 and newer cars...my junk is so old it didn't come with them stock
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I use the factory style retractable three point for the road drives and the five point at the track. Interesting that the wider, thicker five point harness has to be re-webbed and certified every two years to run 9's, but I can run 10's with thin 44 year old stock stuff.
                Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                  I use the factory style retractable three point for the road drives and the five point at the track. Interesting that the wider, thicker five point harness has to be re-webbed and certified every two years to run 9's, but I can run 10's with thin 44 year old stock stuff.
                  I thought the stock belts were only good to 11.5 (aka. the point where you need a roll bar...)

Comment

You may be right. I had get the five point when I had to put the roll bar in the convertable at 13.50 a few years ago.
                    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I just use the lap belt and the dive belt... I would highly
                      advise you getting the 1/4 turn latch... even that way if
                      your in the lanes waiting your turn you can have the lap
                      belt hooked and just hang the shoulder straps over your
                      shoulders till your ready to run.. they just pop in.. not
                      like that stupid latch one

Comment

Working...
                      X