Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it take to install a LS motor and trans into an old vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    I think the truck engines have 4 O2 sensors and two cats. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    Ya they will have two O2 sensors, one on each side before the cats(passenger and driver side), these O2 sensors are the ones that monitor the AFR's of the engine......Then there will be O2 sensors after each of the cats, they are used to monitor the temperature of the cats and if they start getting to hot they signal the computer to richen up the fuel mixture to cool the cats back down.......They will also tell you if your cat is bad when it takes a crap...........If your not running cats there are a few options out there for you, one is they make simulators for the rear O2 sensors to trick the computer into thinking they are still hooked up, you just unplug the O2 sensor and plug these into the wiring harness.........They also make spacers that move the rear O2 sensors out of the exhaust path and have a small hole in them to heat the sensor, I put these on my car so I'd pass emissions so it wouldn't throw a code for me not having cats, and I can say they work.........Third comes back to the DiabloSport Tuner(or the likes) it has a option to turn off the rear O2 sensors.........which is what I'm doing now with the HPTuners that I programmed my car with...........
    Last edited by TC; December 20, 2011, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Doc Mac just did this with his 67 Camaro seems real pleased just bought a kit but he could tell you just what it took to do it and why
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

or you could run it with the Edelbrock kit and stick a carburator on it . I've been thinking about the cheapest way to get a LS 5.3 or 6.0 in the GTA . unfortunatly I don't think I have the hood clearance for that. That said I 'll be quiet and continue to learn. :-)
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
        X