Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission control question ? gm/ford/mopar

Hello,
    I was cataloging parts and stuff I have lately, and got to wondering.

The gm 4l60e and 4l80e and ford o/d transmission,mopar, have a physical shifter linkage to go into low, drive, o/d and reverse.. up until lately.. when they moved to stepper motors.

Anyhow, The shift changes are done with solenoids ? am I correct here ? I haven't seen a 4l60/80 to know, but .

I was looking at my MSD 2 step, and at my MSd rpm trigger switch both that use plug in rpm chips..
    and was wondering why something as simple as an rpm trigger switch couldn't be used to control gear changes, say set the one hooked to the 1-2 shift at 2500 and the 2-3 at 3500
    etc..

Yes, solenoids for shifts but don't forget the pressure control valve. I've heard of guys using light switches on the 4l60e... so yeah, I think it might work but probably shift like a brick with the line pressure set on FULL all the time. The MicroSquirt controller manual gives pretty good insight and is good reading if you haven't seen it already.

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
      Yes, solenoids for shifts but don't forget the pressure control valve. I've heard of guys using light switches on the 4l60e... so yeah, I think it might work but probably shift like a brick with the line pressure set on FULL all the time. The MicroSquirt controller manual gives pretty good insight and is good reading if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/Trans_Control-1.0.pdf
      Thanks,
      I'm slowly taking in the mega manual but getting confused, as they somewhat jump around.. or, I'm just getting confused.. most likely the latter

Comment

Yeah, its a bit more complicated than simply triggering solenoids. Using a Microsquirt is likely the cheapest option and easily links up to the engine megasquirt/microsquirt via a two wire CAN connection. It'll share sensors and information between the two (so only need one TPS, tach input, etc). I'll be going this route with my Firebird and a 4L60e.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
        X