No announcement yet.

FiTech TBI units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have one almost installed on my 65 GTO, the Mean Street. Pieced together a fuel system because everything of theirs is on months from now back order. Waiting on two AN fittings, then I can get it running. Won't be driven until the paint is done, but it will run this week most likely.

Comment

Looking fwd to reading your review. The $100 rebate is good until the end of May.

Comment

I just put my FiTech back on my Nova Monday night. It seems I had one of those Command Centers with a bad check valve. The Bad part is it would just shut off at under high RPM's and lean the motor out at wide open throttle. And this happening a few times and the blower on there. Well lets say it was not good for two broken pistons. So i have put 8 new pistons, rings, and bearing in and FiTech has fixed the Fuel Command Center after I paid for shipping it back to them. I been running the car the 500-600 miles with my old carb to get it all broke in. Now i just went back to the EFI. Haven't ran it wide open yet (just a little scared right now) and I need the car for a 1700 road trip leaving next Friday. But I will let you all know how it goes after a few hundard miles. I will say the car drives a little nicer with the EFI. A lot have bailed on the command center and went to a HV fuel pump with good results. We will see how the command center works after Fitech has fixed it.

Comment

That is the same symptons that I have read on numerous forums from everyone who has installed the FCC. When they got them back, no difference.

Comment

If you have a stock tank the Holley Hyrdamat and a Walboro 255lph external pump would be a good way to ditch the surge tank deal they have. I sumped my tank and run a pair of the Walboro pumps with my EFI and they are nice and quite even if I run them both at the same time.
            1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
            1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

When the Holley Hydramat first came out I called Holley and talked to a tech. He said that I could expect 5 yrs and maybe up to 10 yrs out of it before it deteriorates. That is the reason why I am not going that route, a new TanksInc tank and pump is not much more $ than the Hydramat. I'd love to keep my tank as it is in excellent condition but am leaning to a new f.i. tank setup.

Comment

That was good thinking to think about length of service, it probably fills the system with trash when it starts to die also.

I like the idea of the hydramat, but I bought a new tank and added a sump for way less than I could have purchased the Hydramat for.
                1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by gdh View Post
                  That is the same symptons that I have read on numerous forums from everyone who has installed the FCC. When they got them back, no difference.
                  Yea I read about everyone problems also. And thats way i made sure that the motor is running great with the carb and all the bugs are worked out with the car. Before putting the EFI on. I' am also looking at the Tanks Inc. Set up. It's $560. for my set up. But i already out $400. one this Command center so i want to give them a try one more time. But the minute i have a problem they had better make it right by giving up a refund to put towards a new pump set up.

So far so good with the command center. but I've only put about 40 miles on it so far. I will be putting it to the test soon because I leave for the Cars and Cones Roadtrip next Friday. That's 1700 miles and 4 days of autocrossing. Just in case I will have my carb in the trunk if there is any problems. Cause i can't trailer my car.

Comment

I'm running the Walbro 225, finally have the fittings to mate the hard line to AN. Need to figure out the return at the tank, thinking a bulkhead fitting or a T into the feed from the tank.

Comment

I find the FCC issues very interesting because it shouldn't be a complicated part. Anyone paying attention to the horrid looking surge tanks I've built should see that the system doesn't need to be complicated to work. One part of me wants to say the vent issue is causing a vacuum in the canister that the high pressure pump has to work against, thus lose fuel pressure, but the other part of me says that a vacuum in the canister would simply just pull on the fuel inlet line from the gas tank and aid in the lift pump to the tank.

I did read that they use a carb float/need set on the inlet and that the vent is designed for only vapors, mostly because folks using the gas tank vent (to carbon canister) line as the return would have to remove the pin hole sized restriction on the gas tank to return liquid. In either case, I'm unsure why the canister even needs a vent after it fills up the first time, which makes it even odder the problem crops up well after the canister is filled.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

when i get one i will probably just do an external pump
                        Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                        Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

day three of driving since i got it back on. And so far so good. Still haven't made a 1/4 mile blast yet. but 1st and 2nd gear it spins and pulls real good. A lot more responsive then the carb. Also played on the highway it pulls hard on top end. I just keep watching the AFR and it's they are staying above 10 under full load and at a cruise speed of 68 they are 13.4-13.7.

Comment

OK so I was feeling good and Run the cars hard for a full pass. Now it's acting up again. Talked to the Techs at FI Tech they are saying it may need to try a whole new program that I'm to dumb to do before my big road trip next week. So the Carb is back on my car for now. CAr ran great for 250 miles this weekend with the carb back on. So this EFI is a learning thing for me. I will try it again in a few weeks after my 1700 road trip with my old carb back on.

Comment

it really sounds like the same issue every one else is having with the fuel command surge tank thingy and not a computer tune issue.

i would try a different fuel delivery system before tuning the computer or put a fuel pressure gauge on it and drive the car and see what it;s doing when acting up and also check the A/F from the wide band you will proably notice pressure dropping to zero and the A/F leaning out
                              Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Honestly, if you really want EFI, then port injection is what you need to do. These things are simply "giving you the feeling that you purchased EFI" but generally, do not work as well as a carburetor in my testing. I say stick with a carb, or go with actual, real EFI. There's a reason no OEMs use these designs.
                                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                                X