the flywheel quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the flywheel quest

has anyone shipped a sample to SPEC clutch and flywheel for a request?

I am about to ship out the kenworth 25 pound subaru flywheel as a sample to be measured.

37 bucks from maine to alabama.

I am hoping to lose 10-13 pounds.
    I cannot do their quantity request, but here is to hoping common sense prevails.

the 2jz engine is very close to the ea82 for japanese reasons... might be a simple change for them to build a pile.

Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

I guess I have to find a way to sell five.

how that many people stayed silent to this subject is rather weird.

I am delayed by holiday, and the 5 sale request.

Originally posted by spec
    Barry,
    The Holiday will get in the way, so if you need it hold on to it til first week of Jan. I looked at the demand history in our log book and no one has ever asked for that component. So I would have to have 5 sold to get it in production. Let me know if you know anyone else who may want one.
    David
    I had requested some time ago, not sure what is going on there.

my only japanese vehicle will be normal...one way or another.

Originally posted by me
    ok thank you.

I had learned the mass is so silly in largeness, that amateur machinists were shaving off ten pounds, without much thought.

I would love a professional version, and will try and see if any responses for a flywheel can happen.

happy holidays.

barry
    any interest in ea82 flywheel done with every measurement the right way..
    send an email to spec.

got another reply..
    he could do less than ten, like for the impreza.

Excellent..thank you. If 10lbs can come off the stock flywheel safely, a billet aluminum unit with changeable steel friction plate and ring gear could probably be under 10 lbs total at least.
    just send an email

[email protected]

The mans name is David Norton.

With modern stuff, the spec stage 1 clutch revived my enthusiasm greatly. My version of air fuel and timing has always done something to bother other parts...

the oem clutch was a dead end.

To have a flywheel from the same company, with venting and extra thoughts... wow.
    the thought is greatness.

with 15 pounds removed, oil flows and the back of crankcase takes a load off..all the exponential gains.. timing, air fuel.
    to only guess in proportion to the study at the bmw site about flywheels, 1st gear would be like 600 pounds removed from the chassis, and so on.

once an object is in motion, it tends to stay in motion...with something greater than equal to counteract it.

faster buggy in other words.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 16, 2014, 07:18 PM.
    Previously boxer3main

Comment

flywheel math

1.4933 x 10+5 newton = 1,080,105.958401 pound foot/secondē

kinetic eenrgy = 9956.3 joules

what am I saying?

centrifigual force of this subaru 25 pound flywheel..at 3000 rpm.
      knock off 15 pounds...

kinetic energy = 3982.5 joules

59730 newton = 432,027.9173328 pound foot/secondē

see? half a million pounds to shave off this ocean liner flywheel, and away it goes.

just send an email to spec clutch

[email protected]

The mans name is David Norton.
      just confess to be a customer of the real kind, to purchase the subaru EA82 series flywheel requested...it stays in the ad as a product available. The ea81 can do the same, as well as the er27.. only the ring gear pitch is slightly differenced...it may even do more than that, like back into ea71, not sure.

if it was just made available, they would sell, from maine to australia, he could trickle in a good return.

but...
      only need 4 more buyers, I am the fifth one...or first... whatever.

the business rules state 5 minimum sold at first batch, and beyond guessing, we would be the feedback...and I'll ship my own tank wheel to be the guinea pig of measure. (it is still exactly factory.. 25 pounds exactly)

another number... shows the power of balance and steel can go much farther...but that is not my purpose for this. Welding is in another thread.
      the stress of the centrifugal force on the 25 pound flywheel at 3000 rpm (around max torque)

22,043,996.468953 newton meters squared = 3197.211378385 psi

psi simply a number for us american, euro peoples.

a 10 pound flywheel at 3000 rpm

8,817,303.3488924 newton meters squared = 1278.841730603 psi

centrifigual is an outward force. The greater the number here is the bigger floaty feel, and a longer time to gain it...in the air force, I learned to call that a gyro.
      a self balanced crank hardly needs the big one. The outward pressure is like a resolution...the hefty flywheel carries a smoothness.
      if to match the weight of the vehicle in psi... even the 15 pound is crazy...but there is another force, and that is perpendicular to the rotation, engaging and disengaging the clutch...that is always less then the weight, the leverage stuff...clutch companies figure that out.

to drop all this stress psi stuff to 600 pounds an inch.. or just a little more than the tranny and engine combined...

the flywheel/clutch in total weight, in theory, could weigh just five pounds to gain the psi of 639.4208653013 psi (4408651.6744462 newtin meter squared) at 3000 rpm...the purpose of the smooth gyro, meeting its exact match...could weigh just 5 pounds at a 10.5 inch diameter.

I had mentioned I work air fuel given overall numbers, it is modern fun, and old too. Not just subaru, all american..in fact this is my only foreign project ever.
      I learned the ea82 is 280cfm for 1.8 liters...and self balanced.

that is not small.

with all other items allowed to be normal, the last anchor left is literally an anchor..
      the 25 pound flywheel.

One way or another I will get this down to something much lighter, and local has some machinists who need work..but a product made by professionals from the ground up is sure nice. The clutch only proved it...and that is only half of it.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 17, 2014, 03:56 PM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

will a "JZ" flywheel work? probably expensive?

i do understand loosing unsprung weight. seems like you've thought this through quit a bit.

did you remove weight from the rotating assembly too? i wonder if it should be re-balanced after the flywheel diet? IDK?

Comment

Originally posted by redneckjoe69 View Post
          will a "JZ" flywheel work? probably expensive?

i do understand loosing unsprung weight. seems like you've thought this through quit a bit.

did you remove weight from the rotating assembly too? i wonder if it should be re-balanced after the flywheel diet? IDK?

I guess its close, but I cannot find the hack for it.
          I am assuming it is subarus offset pattern on two bolts that kills the idea.

I found one who shaved 9 pounds off oem, only to equal the xt6 engine.

SPECs reply claims less than ten pounds total on the flywheel, replaceable pressure disc if I wanted..but they need four other customers besides me.

if a machinist could down to 12 pounds, I'd go that route..else I am just making a normal car...which is still a reason to be motivated. The 25 pounds has to go...down to 15 or less.
          I have gone on long enough, I'd pay well.
          my last go with this hobby engine.

thinking it out well was deciphering size of air fuel for bore and stroke..it is a little bit greater in proportion to the chevy HO 305 (genuine), and just less than the 2.02 valve some might remember... no excuses for this little one. Should get up and go. It is not even small for the given math.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 18, 2014, 09:35 PM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
          X