Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What it the determining difference in the diameter of aftermarket balancers/dampners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I know is if you have an external balanced crank, don't let some hack drill on your flexplate/flywheel or on the damper to balance it.
    The Green Machine.
    http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

lets face it, ...you get what you pay for.

buy a reasonably priced balancer with engraved timing marks,.....so you can check total timing.

even timing tape must be for the right size balancer.

the proform balancer covers are a joke,....again, buy a good balancer.

just a dumb redneck opinion,...a smaller balancer will rev up quicker just like an aluminum flywheel. but i'm not a rocket scientist.

there are 8" balancers you can buy that have weights on them that are removable for internal or external balance.

i'd still check everything out first,...but sure could be the balancer.

heck,...take all the belts off,...then the balancer,...go for an easy drive,....any difference? might be worth a test? just dont beat on it.

Comment

Going off of what this says, I'm not sure if it's a balance issue or not.

The “old school” tolerances for balancing used to be plus or minus 2 ounces for stock engines (56 grams), half an ounce (0.5 oz. or 14 grams) for street performance and two-tenths ounce (0.2 oz. or 5 to 6 grams) for racing ­engines.
        Now think about this, they say plus or minus 2 ounces(56 grams), that means you could be as much as 112 grams off and still have the motor run fine. He would have had to broke a skirt off a piston or something like that for it to be a balance issue IMO.
        The Green Machine.

Comment

Or it was built with a 305 crank. That's my best guess, but for some reason he won't disassemble a nice running (and looking) show car just to satisfy my curiosity.....go figure.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Those plug wires could do with some tidying up, maybe there´s a missfire due to wires being tie wrapped together, between 6 and 8 header tubes.

Comment

Can't 305 & 350 cranks be differentiated by looking? Would pulling the pan be so hard? If it is a severe balancing problem, the motor will eventually come apart whether he likes it or not.

Very nice ride though.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Installed a new 8" harmonic balancer today.
                Seems like the timing tab was meant for another application,
                covers the timing marks on the balancer.
                Chevrolet Performance balancer.......Proform Parts timing tab.....

Comment

Thinks......could be the thick flange on the Edelbrock timing cover pushing the tab forward.

Comment

Cheap timing tabs. Getting another one.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                      Cheap timing tabs. Getting another one.

Checked out dozens at Summit, they´re all the same.
                      Might go for a "high dollar" billet tab, I can modify that easier.

Comment

don't forget theres timing tabs for 12 o'clock and 2 o'clock posistions. same thing with balancers. Malc, your picture shows the 2 o'clock.

Comment

It´s in the correct position.
                          When I had the original 305 it was 12 o clock.

Comment

Is that an aluminum timing cover, if so that is probably the problem.
                            The Green Machine.

Comment

Originally posted by redneckjoe69 View Post
                              don't forget theres timing tabs for 12 o'clock and 2 o'clock posistions. same thing with balancers. Malc, your picture shows the 2 o'clock.

Only pickups and vans had the timing tabs at the 12 o clock position. All the cars had them at the 2 o'clock.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post

Only pickups and vans had the timing tabs at the 12 o clock position. All the cars had them at the 2 o'clock.

My original motor in the Camaro, had the tab at twelve o clock, very hard to see looking vertically down behind the water pump.

The timing cover is aluminum.

Comment

Working...
                                X