Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the heck engine is this? In a '64 Jeep J10 truck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck engine is this? In a '64 Jeep J10 truck.

Anyone recognize this? Its in a truck locally for sale........

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

It's the Jeep Tornado engine.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Cool. Never knew Jeep made an OverHead cam inliner back in the '60's, I was wondering if someone swapped in something.

Jim for the win!

Comment

I saw one, once.
        My fabulous web page

Comment

And we here at BangShift have been here before.

Comment

That OHC motor was the highest specific-output production mill of it's day, thanks in part to too-high compression ratio which resulted in piston damage, which was the demise of this '63 (CR was lowered in '64). Note the "hemi" valve layout and one-lobe-per-cylinder deal. Weird, trick, but thanks to tiny bore/huge stroke and siamesed intake, a race motor they do not make. I have four of them anyhow.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Loren; October 15, 2014, 09:01 AM.

Comment

That's really cool how they used a single lobe.

Did they actually get decent mileage?

Comment

The specific-output thing would mean they did, for what they were. Really they had only a tiny edge that way over competitive OHV motors and probably lost it with the compression drop. One of the motors I have (from a '68 M-715) spins free and I've been tempted to try to put it in something...but not sure I want to do that to myself, too much else going on already. So it all sits around for posterity or something.

Comment

wiki article quotes a magazine review, 14-17 mpg. which isn't too bad for a full size Jeep in the 60s.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

I recall Freiburger saying how gutless his M-715 (miliary 1 1/4-ton transport) was, but that's a heavy vehicle made to run on poor fuel. In a relatively-light Wagoneer or half-ton pickup in civilian form I'm sure they were adequate. Those "full-size" Jeeps actually were kinda small/light compared to the big-three trucks.

Comment

That picture is worth a 1,000 words Loren!
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

It's a lot better to try to explain one of those motors if there is a pic around, although it's hard to see where the cam lobes are due to old muck. I don't have one, of the weirdly small-dia piston and weirdly long connecting rod. Reading Jim's link (I didn't know there was an article about these...cool) it was interesting to see they were produced in Argentina into the eighties. Considering what goes into an engine as far as designing a setting up to produce, it seems to me like it's worth it to save a few examples of old ones...it would be nice to know the stories that engineers etc. might have about that but I suppose not much was written down and the participants are for the most part long gone.

Comment

I've seen lots of them in the junk yards in the 70's when they started to end up there along with other cars from the 60's.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                          X