Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What manual tranny do I have a chance getting hooked up to a 351 clevland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What manual tranny do I have a chance getting hooked up to a 351 clevland?

So I scored a 351 already set up for cheap I know a c 6 will hook up but I want to be able to grab gears any body got anything?

Cleveland looks like a Windsor on the back, so you should be able to run a top loader, or a T5, or any of the modern transmssions that bolt up to a 5.0 engine. Watch out for the flywheel balance, I don't know what it needs, but it could bite you if you aren't careful.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Top Loader for strength ..t5 t56 are pos

Comment

Clevelands have the same flywheel balance as the early (pre-84) Windsor family engines. Some Clevelands won't have the crank bored for a M/T pilot bearing. I tend to agree with Spidey on the whole T-5 thing, go top loader!

Comment

Thanx for the info does anybody know if I can score a posi kit for a 72 f250?

Comment

I also forgot to add this is going in a 3 quarter ton pickup so I don't think a t5 will take the weight will it?

Comment

In a truck it would be nice to have an nv4500 5speed like what's in a cummins powered dodge that way you get strength and overdrive. I don't know if there's away to adapt it to a ford gas engine though.
              78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Comment

dana 60 rear, the posi for them is pretty easy to find. I have one laying around, but I have a rearend for it to go into also.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

For a 3/4 ton pickup I'm partial to the Warner T-18/19 if you want a granny-gear 4 speed. Ford put them in everything from the 60's to at least the late 80's. If you want a 5 speed, look for a ZF S5-47 (the 47 is shorthand for the torque it's rated at, 470 ft/lbs) don't use the Mazda built transmissions, they're weak sauce.

Comment

isnt that model for diesels?

Comment

No, you could get a S5-47 in 3/4 and 1 ton gas models (iirc 97 & 98 only with the SBF pattern, after that it's all modular), they're not really common, but they are out there, it's easier to find the S5-42, but if you're looking, you might as well get the best. That's just a factory solution, the aftermarket will let you put just about any truck 5 speed behind a small block Ford...what do you want to spend?

Comment

i was looking to spend no more than 700 im 17 so I don't have a huge budget.

Comment

I'd try to find a T-18/19 on Craigslist, you might have to go to Boise to pick it up.

Like this one. http://boise.craigslist.org/pts/4599809266.html

Or this. http://boise.craigslist.org/pts/4641264982.html in fact, if it were me, I'd see if I could buy the trans and bellhousing from those guys for 500 bucks

Don't forget the flywheel. http://boise.craigslist.org/pts/4582765500.html

Good luck, I know Horseshoe Bend is kind of a drive to get anywhere, but it's better than living in Oreana, ask me how I know!

Comment

thanks for the help a lot. I got another one for you hydrogen instead of nitrous, my old man knows a guy that put a few jars of water under the hood with some electrodes in them and a hose running to his air intake he said that it made his gas milage go from about 37 to 45 ish and supposedly increased his hp some to, but he had the electricity running from his ignition to the electrodes and he left the ignition on for a while then he tried to start it it blew up. do you think that would work if I hooked it up with a toggle?

Comment

THAT guy story. No credence, wouldn't do it.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X