Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best choice for rear control arm bushings on a 67 442?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best choice for rear control arm bushings on a 67 442?

It's time to replace the 47 year old control arm bushings on my 67 442. This car is mostly street, but occasionally hits the drag strip. Is there a high-durometer rubber bushing that is available for this that would work good? Or should I consider some type of poly, or make some up out of aluminum? I don't want squeaks. I don't mind greasing zerk fittings, but I don't want to have to dis-assemble them to grease them.
    Please shed the light of your experience upon me.
    Thanks, Joel

Story of the car: http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...rnation-update
    Last edited by Hemi Joel; August 1, 2014, 08:23 AM.

I have Energy Suspension poly ones in both my cars. Neither squeak. Kind of annoying as they require saving the steel sleeves and trying to get old rubber bushing out of them. Cheap to buy, quite a bit of work to replace. Though, knocking the sleeves out of the trailing arms and rear diff requires lots of hammering too. Originally, I made up a press tool out of a piece of pipe and big washers. Worked pretty good. If you have a good press, lot less muscle work involved.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, I just ordered a set of them from Summit. I do have a 30 ton press, so hopefully that will ease the removal/installation process.

Comment

Don't bother trying to remove steel bushing shells from trailing arms, just use the press to push out old rubber bushings. The two uppers where the bushings are on the top of the differential, you will probably have to knock the whole old bushing out to change them. (At least they are on Chevy rear diffs).
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X