98-02 F body full length headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98-02 F body full length headers

I've installed an GM LS motor into a 68 Cougar and I'm hoping to find off the shelf headers ( ya I know good luck ) . I have it in my head that F body headers might work , mainly because of the tight fit . I know it would help if the trans (4L65E) was in place but it hasn't arrived yet so I'm jumping the gun . So please let me know your thoughts .
    Attached Files

I think the Kook's headers that I put on my car would fit, you have way more room than my Z28 has.
    The Green Machine.
    http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

I was thinking it looks like you could throw them in.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

That's what I'm hoping for . I've also been weighing up long tube vs short tube . Leaning towards long tube , the only advantage that I see in short tube is more control over ground clearance . It's not going to ride really low anyways . Plus if I have the room and I'm able to run long tube , why not ? Does it seem to you that I'm thinking out loud ?

Comment

Also think about 04-06 GTO headers from Kooks, which is what I have, expensive but great fit. FWIW, LS shorty headers marginally flow better than stock manifolds. You might want to consider honing used manifolds and call it done
          a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

A Ford 302 has the same exhaust port spacing as an LS1. Often, you can take a set of headers meant for a 302, slice the flanges off, and weld in a set of LS1 flanges.
            Last edited by Matt Cramer; July 30, 2014, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post
              A Ford 302 has the same exhaust port spacing as an LS1. Often, you can take a set of headers meant for a 302, slice the flanges off, and weld in a set of LS1 flanges.
              I'm getting deja vu ... same sort of thing I said in the Cougar thread.

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              bore spacing is the same as a Windsor I think? - I wouldn't rule out thinking about a flange swap on 302 or 351 headers if the Camaro pipes don't fly.
              sickest thing I've seen in a while was somebody trying to put LS heads (HEADS!) on a 302... really opened my eyes to the LS and 302/Windsor similarities... including the firing order!
              Last edited by Beagle; July 30, 2014, 11:28 AM.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Thanks for your input guys .Seeing as I'm starting with a completely redesigned front suspension and no more shock towers . I see no need to start with 289/302 Mustang headers and grafting them to LS flanges . If I still had the old suspension and towers in place then I could see maybe going that route .

Comment

No worries - just thinking they would be an almost gut cinch fit.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

My 98 has Hooker headers on it, ceramic coated. They might work since you have lots of room in there thanks to the R&P and no shock towers. If I could afford a new set right now, I would send you these, the drivers side collector sprung a leak. You could see if they fit that way.

Comment

GTO headers won't work because of the oil filter location. you need something that doesn't sweep down until the #5. so http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dt...make/chevrolet or this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ko...et?prefilter=1. You'll more than likely have to modify the height of the header no matter what due to wide variations in floor height, so the tri-y makes that WAY easier.

Comment

Originally posted by greenjunk View Post
                        GTO headers won't work because of the oil filter location. you need something that doesn't sweep down until the #5. so http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dt...make/chevrolet or this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ko...et?prefilter=1. You'll more than likely have to modify the height of the header no matter what due to wide variations in floor height, so the tri-y makes that WAY easier.
                        Thanks for the info . The Tri-y looks like it kicks back to far up top and would hit the firewall . The Kooks on the other hand look about perfect , The front two pipes on each side need to stay up and then kick down as these look like they do . The rear pipes need to drop straight down as these do as well . Plus the driver side pipes need kick in towards the block to clear the steering shaft . Thanks again for the info .

Comment

Working...
                        X