What is going on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is going on here?

My wife told me tonight that her G8 has been making a noise lately,and the problem has gotten worse.

I first thought it might be the t/c or flexplate bolts being loose. When I drove the car Friday, it sounded more like a suspension issue. Seems to do it over bumps,but not all bumps. I could get it to make the noise when stopped at a light or stop sign. It got worse if I let off on the brake slightly. Brake caliper? Control arm? Strut rod bushing?

I took the car to the dealership and made an appointment. I have 3 months left of Powertrain Warranty elsewise I wouldn't have taken it out there. I HATE dealerships. I just do.

My wife took a couple of videos of the noise.

Could y'all take a listen and give me some ideas?

Last edited by Karberator; July 18, 2014, 10:50 PM.
    sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

pretty hard to tell from here, but it sounds like something rattling around. idler pulley? exhaust rattling on something? hopefully its something simple. a mechanics stethascope might help isolate the noise.

Comment

Well,I can't see the first video so I will post it again. It was pouring yesterday so I didn't get to listen with the hood up. I know the harmonic balancer has been replaced under warranty twice.

sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

If it's only doing it while driving and not at a stoplight or in park it could be a sealed wheel bearing. Very hard to discern the noise on those. Sound under a vehicle travels weird.

Comment

we had a funny noise on the daughters 09 fusion. figured we would look harder the next day, she was leaving, ended up throwing off the serpentine belt and needing a tow. Ended up being the water pump. it wobbled so much it tossed the belt. Next wobble noise I am getting at the tensioner and checking all the spinnning parts the belt drives for play before she leaves..
            Last edited by anotheridiot; July 20, 2014, 11:59 AM.

Comment

My wife has a g8 gt and it would clunk over rough roads. I replaced the front sway bar bushings and the strut bushings and it cured it. These cars also had issues with the lower control arms and sway bar end links wearing out causing clunking in the front end.
              78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Comment

Originally posted by BBO Javelin View Post
                My wife has a g8 gt and it would clunk over rough roads. I replaced the front sway bar bushings and the strut bushings and it cured it. These cars also had issues with the lower control arms and sway bar end links wearing out causing clunking in the front end.
                There should've been a recall for the LCA and collapsing stut mount issues with these cars. I hope that all it turns out to be is what you said or something else simple.

I went through the same issue with the daily driver HHR this year. I got sick of the clunking,and put new end links,struts,and sway bar bushings. The noise on the G8 is much worse though,and it's supposed to be a much nicer car quality-wise. You would think that anyway.

Man,I sure love the thing though. Rides good,drives good,runs good,and dang sure looks good!
                sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                X