black widow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black widow

Hey i have a couple of questions. I have a 1997c1500 ext cab in mint condition the body's solid it's been well maintained by me it's been through 1paint job that I'm still not happy about but the transmission is one of the problems. The 4L60E this is the 2nd one put in only lasted under 1 1/2 yrs I was told that i can run a 7R-4 and not worry about the electronics as far as the tranny goes , then i heard that if i put a corvette servo and a corvette torque converter in this 4L60E it would solve all my problems and I'd be able to drop in the 383H.O motor I've been wanting.. any helpful replys are greatly appreciated.

Hi, welcome

The same guy who could build a 700-R4 to last could also build a 4L60E to last. It's pretty much the same transmission, one has electronic control, the other is mechanical.

Don't go back to the guy who did it last time, apparently he doesn't know what he's doing if it only lasted a year and a half.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Somebody doesn't know what they are doing with transmissions, find another rebuilder/supplier.
      Last edited by 68scott385; April 16, 2014, 07:54 AM.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

there was a post about that guy that sells the controllers for the E trannys.
        People just dont pay enough attention to the pump. They will guarantee a tranny if you buy a new converter but that two little gears what could go wrong attitude with pumps is what kills trannys.

Comment

Yeah I've also heard GM. Has come out with electronic fed trannys ranging from the 4L60E to the 4L80E's just for high hp.motors. but jeeze the 4L60E is $1898 but the dang controller for the trans is a hefty $2600 big ones brother

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
            Somebody doesn't know what they are doing with transmissions, find another rebuilder/supplier.
            Yeah this 2nd one that went to hell came from Gm. So instead of taking it back me and my buddy are pulling it and he knows an ole school cool fella who can't get around well but if we can get it to him he says it'll be the last tranny you'll ever need I told him id at least want it to handle 500hp he guarantees it will or at least the 383H.O motor I'm wanting to drop in there

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
              ... but that two little gears what could go wrong attitude with pumps is what kills trannys.
              been a while since GM transmissions used two gears for the pump
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

You can get an aftermarket controller for around $500 check Ebay, the corvette servo is a good upgrade, I'd also recommend a Z-Pak for the 3-4 clutch pack, along with a TransGo HD2 shift kit.

The Green Machine.
                http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

I'd.suggest a built T5 .
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Id veer far away from a t5, even when built they aren't that strong, stock 302 3000lb cars break them. You can upgrade to an astro or d&d but it'd still be borderline with a 383 in a 4500lb truck.

You didnt mention if the truck was 4wd, so Im assuming not. I find out what exactly has the be done to convert it to a 4l80e. I know you have to move the crossmember back 3ish inches. Some came in the same year model truck so there should be an easy way. You should never break it.

A 4l60e and 700r4 have the same internals as already stated. A corvette servo, z pack, beast sunshell, and shift kit would help it live. As for a factory converter a 4200 trailbrazer converter will stall a little higher than stock.
                    Last edited by kyhunter89; April 17, 2014, 10:18 PM.
                    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Yikes, how did we get on T5's? Even the 4L60E will outlast it in a truck... Ford wouldn't even put it behind a V6 in a truck!

Agree - I'd think a TH400 base would be a better choice over a TH350 base for a truck, much less with a built 383 in front of it. 700's don't enjoy the best of reputations in heavy vehicles with torquey engines. Stock 4l60e's break behind stock v6's in little trucks... Can you put a 4L80e in with the factory electronics? You will have to tune for a 383 if you stay with EFI anyway, how hard of a deal would it be to accommodate the 4L80e with the tune? Probably need to get the driveshaft or at least the yoke too. You would lose some first gear but after that the RPM drops are smaller between gears.

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

We got the T5 because my 350 Trans Am has taken out two narmal 700 R trannys and I stuck a plain T5 from a 86 305 camaro and haven't broken it yet. I say they are a lot stronger than a700 r any day. If it were a built one , it should be fine up to 400 horses. And a lot more fun to drive with a man pedal.
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

how long did the first transmission last? while it could be a crap transmission rebuilder, there's also the possibility that through hard use a transmission will only last 1 1/2 years. I had a 93 Chevy pickup whose first transmission lasted 11 years and 167,000 miles; the second is still in the truck. What killed the first one was me - I left the transmission in overdrive when I was pulling a 18' 5th wheel trailer throughout California.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                          X