No announcement yet.

carb dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first try richening the idle mixture screws a little. What is the list number on the carb? I have the book that should show what came in it originally for jets. Usually stock works on most applications...and also, the main jets don't do much under light throttle use, that is mostly the idle circuit.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
      where is the lever hitting on the front accelerator pump? I think the manual says you need a feeler gauge so its not touching at idle, I cant remember .017 or .025 to the front pump. I was always told its gotta touch to lose that stumble. Isnt it just the front circuit that controls the low rpm's? sounds like your secondary side is fine.
      It's supposed to be .015 at WOT. You don't want to bottom out before WOT.
      Last edited by Scott Liggett; April 7, 2014, 04:22 PM.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I'll get you the list info in a bit.
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

It would be interesting to stick a strand of fine wire in the primary air bleeds.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Its g2g now, I blew them out, some nasty white shit came out....no issues now
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Sticking a piece of wire in them is a quicky way of richening up the fuel mixture. One thing I don't like about generic Holleys is the booster. The use either a straight or down leg booster which is fine for high rpm power but down low where you do most of your driving, they just don't atomize the fuel mixture like a annular booster does. The Ford 4100 which is loved by Ford guys because it has them. The Summit and Edelbrocks use them too. My old 85 5.0 Mustang had a Motorcraft 4180 4V that also used them. Those carbs that use the annualar boosters just drive so nice IMO.
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

3310 list

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                  Its g2g now, I blew them out, some nasty white shit came out....no issues now
                  Any time I have any issues with my Holley carbs, the first thing I do is blow out the low speed air bleeds.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                    It would be interesting to stick a strand of fine wire in the primary air bleeds.

Ah, I'm smelling what you're stepping in....I've read about that before...did'nt put 2 and 2 together.

Comment

Basically the air bleed is a air circuit that is in parallel with the fuel circuit. For any given set up, reducing the air bleed is like installing a bigger main jet and visa versa. Installing a carb setup fora smaller engine on a bigger engine would cause the carb to run rich. To lean it out, you could open the air bleeds as one way to lean it out.
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Stupid E10

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                          Stupid E10
                          agreed...they cycle between 10 and 15 I think here....shitty gas.

Comment

Maybe a hotter plug would help you.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I'm wondering about plug gap, IIRC the gap was 35 but I've read about some guys who run 45...right now it has Autolite 85s.

Comment

Keep it at .035. Autolite 86's are hotter.
                                Last edited by Scott Liggett; April 21, 2014, 07:34 PM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X