Testing Dex Cool antifreeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing Dex Cool antifreeze

Can a regular antifreeze tester for the green anti freeze work for Dex Cool? I have` the one with the turkey baster bulb, and the float swings to the protection level. Thanks.

Re: Testing Dex Cool antifreeze

We just talked about this at school, and I think we decided that it should work, because what we found indicated that it was an ethylene glycol based coolant, it is the additives that are different. I think it should work.

Comment

yeah, but with the horror stories I'm going green
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I have only seen horror stories about bate up gaskets from a few models for a few years and I believe everything after about 93 is alright.
        However I just serviced my LT 4 383 Vette with Dex and have more for my other Vette but I'm now going to change them both to green.

Actually I believe they all create gel over time which isn't good.
        Best change every three years anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
          yeah, but with the horror stories I'm going green
          X2 Dexcool is evil

Comment

Off topic a little, but
            Dexcool is fine IF you service it every 24 mo or 24k miles.
            It's when it gets old that it looses it lubricating abilities and eats gaskets.
            Also, I've seen lot of cars that the owner or Greasy Lube serviced and added
            the older green stuff or even the newer universal stuff to it.
            Just make sure you ONLY use dexcool with dexcool. OR it will turn into MUD.

If you change over from dexcool, make sure you flush out every drop of the orange.

I've had dexcool in my C5 since it's birth. I drain and fill it on regular basis.
            Have almost 100,000 on it now.. NO coolant related issues whatsoever.

I worked on late 90's and early 2000's GM cars where the owners didn't service..
            guess what? new intake gaskets needed!

It just sucks that GM (and all the others) tried to pull this 100K no maint. required crap on
            people who didn't know any better. ALL coolants should be changed out every 24 months/24,000
            to keep their lubrication properties and ability to control corrosion properties
            "Ounce of prevention" mentality is always cheaper in the long run.

Comment

How do you drain the coolant out of the late model engines? do you need a pump?
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I use Prestone Global coolant.

It's yellow, and compatible with anything. It's also got lots of
                good additives in it.

Comment

Petcock on the radiator and then you can flush out with water. I use Dexcool in my 01 Vette, but my 99 Crewcab and everything else gets the goodole green stuff.

Comment

I don't test it anymore - just change it on time

Comment

You can take off lower radiator hose to drain the lion's share out. If you
                      are going to just keep using the dexcool -- then as long as you get most out you're cool.

If you want a total changeover you will have to remove Thermostat and a heater hose
                      to get ALL of it flushed out.

OH, remember to remove and clean out the "overflow" tanks.. These are pressure
                      tanks on later models. And they collect alot of the crap
                      Some have multiple passages in them so make sure to wash out thouroughly with
                      clean water then drain before reinstall.

Comment

Originally posted by foggy
                        Off topic a little, but
                        Dexcool is fine IF you service it every 24 mo or 24k miles.
                        It's when it gets old that it looses it lubricating abilities and eats gaskets.
                        Also, I've seen lot of cars that the owner or Greasy Lube serviced and added
                        the older green stuff or even the newer universal stuff to it.
                        Just make sure you ONLY use dexcool with dexcool. OR it will turn into MUD.

If you change over from dexcool, make sure you flush out every drop of the orange.

I've had dexcool in my C5 since it's birth. I drain and fill it on regular basis.
                        Have almost 100,000 on it now.. NO coolant related issues whatsoever.

I worked on late 90's and early 2000's GM cars where the owners didn't service..
                        guess what? new intake gaskets needed!

It just sucks that GM (and all the others) tried to pull this 100K no maint. required crap on
                        people who didn't know any better. ALL coolants should be changed out every 24 months/24,000
                        to keep their lubrication properties and ability to control corrosion properties
                        "Ounce of prevention" mentality is always cheaper in the long run.
                        it was your governments idea - long life antifreeze

Comment

Did not know that.
                          I thought it was some BS marketing gimmick by the auto manufacturers.
                          Kinda like the 100,000 mile plugs... Yeah they may
                          still fire, but good luck gettin em out after 5-7 years !!

Comment

Dexcool is evil!
                            Lost a 1997 Buick 3.1 to the dreaded upper intake gasket failure and 2002 Impala 3.4 head gaskets. Cracked both heads on the Impala from overheating. The Buick spun the main bearings when virtually all of the coolant dumped into the oil pan.

Comment

Working...
                            X